I just moved into a new house in Massachusetts and I need to add more insulation. I'm confused by what I am looking at though and I can't seem to find a example of this on the web.

The insulation that is already there is fiberglass with a paper-covered foil facing towards the living space and some kind of coated paper facing up into the unheated attic. I was planning to just roll out some unfaced insulation on the top of it but then I got concerned about which side functions as the vapor barrier. I wouldn't be surprised to find this stuff was installed incorrectly because that would be par for the course in the new house.

If anyone can tell me if I am good to roll on the unfaced insulation as is or if I should alter what is there first I would be much obliged.