+ Reply to Thread

Default Upper Cabinet Design

Hello, all!

I just bought my first house. The kitchen was very poor, so we've decided to use our rebate (thanks to the gov.) to remodel the kitchen. It's very small, so storage space is at a premium. We also favor an open floor plan. We're planning on removing a wall and installing a peninsula for some lower cabinets. We were also considering hanging upper cabinets above the peninsula. Here are a couple of questions I have.

1. How much distance from the counter top to the bottom of the upper cabinets is standard/reasonable to install a bar top here? I was thinking 30". If there should not be cabinets above a bar top, the bar top idea will have to go.
    2. I would like to use downrods (like some ceiling fans) to hang the cabinets from the ceiling (as there will be no backing wall). Has anyone tried this? Any tips?

Default Re: Upper Cabinet Design

If you want to be able to see through te peninsula area, cabinets would have to be 6' above the floor, but that's pretty much non-functional for everyday storage. Your 30" option would put them at 66", which seems a reasonable height; many people could access the bottom shelf of these cabinets, and while seated at the bar, the sight line would be clear, and not a head-bager.
    For hanging, you could try 3/4" iron pipe with a threaded rod inside. It would be possible to tighten the rod against the pipe sleeve and get a level, wobble-free fit. The sleeve would need to bear against wood not drywall at the ceiling for this to be trouble free. If the cabinets attach to wall or other cabinets and have just one floating end, you could probably get away with a single rod/pipe.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.