+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Unhappy removing glued carpet

A previous owner glued carpet to the concrete basement floor of my house with some seriously strong glue. I really want to remove this. Any suggestions?

Default Re: removing glued carpet

After trying many different chemicals and cleaners and even after trying to use a heavy duty sander that I had to rent from a machine rental place, I came to the conclusion that it was going to be impossible to remove the carpet glue from my floor. But I was wrong. My neighbour came over with what looks like a hoe but it is really a flat sc****r. She told me to boil some water and throw it on the floor. After letting it sit there for a few minutes, under the hot boiling water, say, 5 or 10 minutes, the glue becomes softer and more pliable....and only then, one is able to sc**** it off. Unbelievable! No chemical would remove it....no machine would remove it but hot water did the trick!

It's worth a try. Thanks.

If it's as stuck as you say, then a vinyl stripping machine may be in order. To go along with that, the spud the previous poster mentioned as well as hand floor sc****rs.

My carpet installer frequently talked about a carpet pulling machine used to remove commercial floor coverings. I never saw him use it. I would imagine that either a rental yard or a flooring supplier to contractors would have or know where to rent such a beast.

I would be cautious about using boiling water, particularly if you're working over a wood subfloor. If on concrete, not so much of a problem, but you're still going to want to use care not to get it soaking against drywall or woodwork, even if it is only for a few minutes.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I remove glue on my carpet once and I scrub the area gently with a piece of cloth dipped in white vinegar. It will work!
    My Hidden Content roofing.