I may have been a bit flip in my previous answer, and if it seemed that way I do apologize. It's pretty obvious if there's been a fire in a structure when the sub-area and attic are inspected. If there were signs of fire, the inspector should have said so, with the added info of whether he thought the repairs were done properly or whether what he saw was of concern. The fact he made no mention does sound a bit suspicious, however, not having inspected your home personally, I cannot offer an opinion on it's current condition.

I will also ad that I've been trained in home inspections, which consisted of a 1 day classroom course. Trust me when I say that what passes for "classes" is very poor to say the least. The class consisted more of CYA (cover your patootie ) than anything else. Basically, we were instructed to call obvious things, but questionables we were encouraged to turn a blind eye. Home inspections are more of a way to bilk the homeowner of money than to allay their conscience on the home they're purchasing. This is not to say that a home inspection isn't a good thing, what I'm saying is that you're better off to hire a contractor that you trust than to hire a home inspector on the recommendation of a real estate agent or cold call out of the yellow pages. The best advice, as with all things, is to get leads from trusted family and friends if you do not have a contractor whom you know and trust.

Above all things is integrity. There are many of us contractors that have it, live by it, and would not even think of operating outside of it. Unfortunately, as with all professions, there are bad seeds among us that have ulterior motives. It is up to the homeowner to be diligent in checking references and local licensing bodies to make sure that the contractor they are hiring is above board. And, ultimately, you either trust the advice from the folks you've hired or you don't. As BigWalt said, there are no victims.