+ Reply to Thread

Default what's the type of the pipe

The drain pipe of the sink is leaking. I opened the cover board from ceiling of the basement, and saw some leakage. When I pressed it with one finger, it broke into a big hole. The pipe feel brittle. I am not sure what's kind of pipe it is. Here are the pictures. The internal diameter is 2 inch. The thickness of the pipe is about 1/8 inch.

It is not PVC, not cast iron. The outside color looks like copper, but 1/8" may be too thick for copper pipe. I kocked the pipe, it doesn't sound or feel like the copper. It is easy to break more pieces by fingers around the hole. I guess it may be vitrfied clay pipe, but not sure. I checked the electric conductivity of the surface of the pipe, it is conductible.

The house is about 30 years old.

I ever thought to repair it with something like PVC-to-Cast Iron adapter, but not sure whether the pipe is strong enough.

If it is vitrfied clay pipe, how to fix it?

Thanks for your helps,

Chen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00694.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	1618   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00695.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	1619  
    Last edited by chen; 09-20-2008 at 10:12 PM.

Default Re: what's type of pipe

It looks like orangeburg pipe, which looks much like compressed charcoal and is something that was used at about the time your house was built. It was used in drainage systems, though I've never seen it inside a house.

The repair would be to carefully cut out the damage and replace with ABS. I can't think of the name of the type of band clamp that is used, but it's a rubber tube with hose clamps or an aluminum sleeve and clamps.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks lot for your helps.

Chen.

My guess (based on the pics) is that this is copper pipe. Note the blue copper oxide stains on the pipe. The 1/8" thick walls are likely from the normal accumulation of gunk (scientific term) that occurs inside metal drains pipes.

You also said it was conductive.

Doesn't look to me like there's room to install a Fernco fitting on the thing...and if the pipe is that thin in one area, the whole thing is likely the same. Copper-coated egg shells do not a good drain pipe make.

Even if you could weasel a Fernco fitting around the thing...it wouldn't likely hold up to the pressure of tightening the bands.

If it was mine..it would be removed and replaced with some PVC.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 09-21-2008 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    I can't think of the name of the type of band clamp that is used,
    That, sir...is the result of drinkin' all that light beer. Amend thy ways and repent before it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post
    That, sir...is the result of drinkin' all that light beer. Amend thy ways and repent before it's too late.
    Nah, I'm too old and set in my ways.

Thanks for the back-up on the fernco clamp. I can never remember the name of those darned things.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Thanks for the back-up on the fernco clamp. I can never remember the name of those darned things.
    Well, in the future just remember where it is you go to get that dang light beer; a fern bar. Then it should come to ya.

You should be proud of me, at the pub I drink a beer that is half a step from a stout. It's called a Scotch ale, not sure what the difference between it and a stout is, but it sure is tasty.

Home brewing is the PA, though I'm dabbling with a few others as the time arises.

I'm proud of ya.

Next step...a real quality black & tan. I could drink that stuff all the time, I think. Might be if I had to pick one brew and stay with it forever, no matter the weather...B&T would be it.