Results 1 to 9 of 9

Threaded View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default what's the type of the pipe

    The drain pipe of the sink is leaking. I opened the cover board from ceiling of the basement, and saw some leakage. When I pressed it with one finger, it broke into a big hole. The pipe feel brittle. I am not sure what's kind of pipe it is. Here are the pictures. The internal diameter is 2 inch. The thickness of the pipe is about 1/8 inch.

    It is not PVC, not cast iron. The outside color looks like copper, but 1/8" may be too thick for copper pipe. I kocked the pipe, it doesn't sound or feel like the copper. It is easy to break more pieces by fingers around the hole. I guess it may be vitrfied clay pipe, but not sure. I checked the electric conductivity of the surface of the pipe, it is conductible.

    The house is about 30 years old.

    I ever thought to repair it with something like PVC-to-Cast Iron adapter, but not sure whether the pipe is strong enough.

    If it is vitrfied clay pipe, how to fix it?

    Thanks for your helps,

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00694.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	1618   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00695.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	1619  
    Last edited by chen; 09-20-2008 at 10:12 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts