+ Reply to Thread

Default Trying to understand "Swing Setting" settings/digital thermostat

So, can someone explain what an optimum swing setting might be on my digital (Lux) themostat? (For Heating) Mine goes from 1-8. It is currently set at 1. My understanding is that the lower the setting, the more my boiler calls for heat to keep the set temp, but the boiler runs for only a short time. The higher the swing, the more the temp drops before the boiler kicks in, and then the boiler runs longer to bring the temp back up? Is this correct? If my house is fairly tight, new boiler, is their a swing setting that is most common/best to set at? Thanks, Bill

Default Re: Trying to understand "Swing Setting" settings/digital thermostat

To add to that .... the swing function is basically the value selected when the HVAC will turn on and off around the temperature setting you select on the thermostat.
    For example .... you set the temperature to be at 70 ..... you were to select a swing setting of 1.
    Basically the equipment will turn on at 69 and shut off at 71.

It's difficult to say what the optimum value would be for your situation since it will be different for everyone .... in other words you have to adjust it according to your situation.

You might try setting it at 2 .... this is a typical value for some thermostats that aren't adjustable .... see how that works out.

Things might change as the weather gets colder ... play with the number until you find what works best for you.

Hope this helps.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Default Re: Trying to understand "Swing Setting" settings/digital thermostat

Quote Originally Posted by bostonfan49 View Post
    So, can someone explain what an optimum swing setting might be on my digital (Lux) themostat? (For Heating) Mine goes from 1-8. It is currently set at 1. My understanding is that the lower the setting, the more my boiler calls for heat to keep the set temp, but the boiler runs for only a short time. The higher the swing, the more the temp drops before the boiler kicks in, and then the boiler runs longer to bring the temp back up? Is this correct? If my house is fairly tight, new boiler, is their a swing setting that is most common/best to set at? Thanks, Bill
    usually the room thermostat doesn't control the boiler firing thats done with the high low limit settings on the aquastat near the boiler. the room thermostat controls the recirculating pump/s.

have a boiler tech in to prepare your boiler for the next heating season he can check out your nozle and such. short cycling is something usually wanted to be avoided. if the new boiler and burner was sized right they might give you summer time settings to use for the high low limits. if it was over sized mabe they can make some changes to the nozle at the burner.