+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Moving heated air with inline fans?

Canuck:

Could you enlighten me or provide a link to a layman's site that might describe what you're suggesting?

Thanks, Tim

Ps. Snow tonight here in Maine! Not in my area, but getting close! Can't wait!

If you haven't a grasp of how relays work .... Google " how relays work " to get a basic understanding first.
    Once you have a basic understanding of relays then we can come up with options for you.

As far as anything available pertaining to this particular setup .... don't know .
    It's not that hard of a setup .... depending how complicated you want to make it.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

"As far as anything available pertaining to this particular setup .... don't know .
    It's not that hard of a setup .... depending how complicated you want to make it. "

I prefer the most simple solution. . . It's hard for me to comprehend anything over about 4th grade level after working all week and then trying to do my projects on Friday night, especially after a few cocktails!

I'll Google "Relays" and see what I can come up with.

Thanks again. . . .Tim

You could wire a line-voltage cooling t-stat in series with the speed control as well. The contacts would open at your set point temp and shut off the fan.

This is so close to my concern, maybe someone can help.

I have a panelized factory home; built in the 70's It is a Bi-level with cathedral ceilings. We heat the home with Propane. The thermostat is on the main level and the lower level is always cold both winter and summer. In the lower level the registers are in the ceiling. This past year I had a new high efficiency forced air furnace, a 90+, put in with central air.

With the central air on in the summer, because cold air falls, the lower level is colder than the temperature set on the main level. Come winter the same thing happens. The upper level can be reasonable while the lower level is cold.
    Could I install a duct that takes the warm air at the peak of the cathedral ceilings to the lower level?
    Should I zone the forced air duct or is that too expensive?

I have a programmable thermostat, which I set at 68 during the day, 70 during the evening, and 65 at night, and back up to 70 in the morning.

The irony is I had been thinking of ducting the warm air with a reversible thermostatically controlled fan from the cathedral area to the lower level to help even out the levels. Is this feasible?

My brother had a similar but different situation. The woodstove was in the living room, and he wanted to get heat into the bedroom on the other side of the wall (but to get to the bedroom you had to go through a couple of other rooms). Both on the first floor of a two-story house with 8' ceilings.

His solution was elegantly simple: cut two holes in the common wall, one at the top left corner and another at the bottom right corner.

Without using fans, this allowed heat-induced convection currents to move heat into the otherwise cold and clammy bedroom.

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    You could wire a line-voltage cooling t-stat in series with the speed control as well. The contacts would open at your set point temp and shut off the fan.
    Yep ....in the wee hours of the morning I had the thought using a thermostat for electric baseboard heaters ..... good call kent.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

i hope that you took in to account for smoke in your house. hope that you have a few smoke detectors being that close tho the celing!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by foammaster View Post
    i hope that you took in to account for smoke in your house. hope that you have a few smoke detectors being that close tho the celing!!!!
    Actually right where I plan to install it would bring the air across the smoke detector before blowing it down stairs. Since Smoke detectors around here can be bought for around 10 dollars each I could also add another down stairs.
    Last edited by D.R.Bain; 11-11-2008 at 03:38 PM.

Hi, All:

I thought I would post an update on how my self-designed inline fan heat ducting is working.

It's now January in Maine, which usually means some pretty cold temps. We've had several days/nights that got the thermostat down below zero with the wind chill.

My fireplace insert has allowed me to use less than half of the heating oil I would normally have used through this part of the heating season. So, overall, the insert is paying for itself -- although at @ $2/gallon it will take a little longer than at the $4/gallon when I bought it. I also haven't seen an appreciable difference in my electric bill to run either the blower fan on the insert or the inline fan (approx 50 - 70 watts).

The inline fan system I designed and installed also seems to be helping pull heat generated by the woodstove to the far reaches of my 2nd level bedrooms. When it's 25 degrees outside, I can now keep this bedroom at around 62 degrees, which keeps the programmable thermostat from kicking on at my pre-set 60 degrees. The only time the boiler fires up, so far, is in the middle of the night when temps are substantially lower or in the morning when I have the programmable set at 65 for when we're getting ready for work.

So the final analysis is that my system is working and overall has been a positive project.

The only change I would make is to possibly go to a larger duct -- perhaps a 10", in oder to pull even more warm air into the room. I think the fan I have now pulls something like 265 cubic feet per minute of air. That's a pretty good pull, but I think a larger opening on both ends would work even better.

Tim