+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default What is this pipe?

I found this leaky pipe in the corner of our garage. It looks like a possible sewage pipe, but I'm not sure. It certainly doesn't smell. But it is leaking, and we're not sure how to fix it. Any ideas about where to start?
    Thanks-
    Piemaker
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pipe02.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	1610  

Default Re: What is this pipe?

you say garage??? my question is do you have a bathroom above the garage? yes it looks like a sewer pipe but if there isn't a restroom or kitchen above the only other thing it could be here in the south places that have flat roofs have roof drains that use the same type of pipe.

Yep ... I agree with havana.
    It looks as though the band clamp for the fernco coupler is missing .
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

and the reason its leaking is that the clamp is off. the rubber ring is still on the pipe but the other piece has slid off, simply loosen the screws on the metal piece and slide it back up the pipe so it sets squarely over the rubber piece and tighten the two screws fairly firmly and your leak should be stopped

actually looking carefully at the picture it looks like the clamp might be rusted in two if that is the case you can take it off and take it to the hardware and get an exact replacement for the clamp.
    Last edited by havanagranite; 09-18-2008 at 06:13 PM.

Thanks very much for your replies. I guess it is a sewer pipe, however we have no bathroom or kitchen above this pipe. Perhaps it runs the length of the house and ends up here (the garage runs underneath the house). We'll go out and get a band clamp today. Is the bottom of the pipe (the white area) looking normal? There seems to me to be a 'lip' or indentation/spill over lip at the bottom- is that normal or not? (I can send a blow up if neccessary)
    Thanks! piemaker

That would be the bell connection I believe it 's called .... commonly used for cast iron pipes and lead was poured in to join the pipes together back in the day.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

There appears to be a clean out cap at the bottom of the Picture too.

Fascinating! What is a clean out cap? Also, if this is a pipe from 'back in the day'- does it warrant replacing or having it checked for sturdiness at all? We bought the place in 1986 (the house was built in 1942). thanks- piemaker

A cleanout cap is a removable cap that permits access to the waste pipe for cleaning the line.
    If you replace the band and clamps on the no hub coupling the leak should stop, if not you may need to replace the no hub coupling.

Thank you. I now see the cap on the top of the pipe that is part of the pipe extension to the right. We have removed the rusted band, will clean off the cast iron pipe, install a new clamp band and hope all will be well.
    Thank you all