+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: What is this pipe?

A plumber with a torque wrench? I'm just glad when they don't start a fire sweating tubing.
    My Daddy was a plumber so don't take offense.

Quote Originally Posted by remedialmofo View Post
    You are right I couldn't possibly imagine everybody and their mother walking around with these torque wrenches. But in my opinion I would not allow anybody to guesstimate how tight they have it in inch pounds. The manufacturer calls for a certain amount in inch pounds not guesstimated inch pounds. You think I would let you or anybody else for that matter touch the internal components of my motor without torque wrenches. I would imagine you and the others mount rims on your cars without the use of torque wrenches too. And yes this is comparing apples to oranges but plumping repairs can cost just as much in damage as automotive repairs. But ya to each is own so continue what you do in your trade as if this conversation never took place.

What I was getting at was the fact that there is to much at stake with plumbing and electrical work. It is just my opinion that the basic run of the mill do it yourselfer should leave these two trades to the professional. Sure if some guy or girl wants to play around under the sink by all means.My father paid a guy to put a cleanout right outside the house. Several years later when I moved in. I thought long and hard as to why the most gigantic pecan tree in my neighborhood had died. I had an assumption and went digging by the cleanout that was put in about 30ft from the tree. What I had found was that not only did the guy not find the buried cast cleanout but simply hammered a hole in the clay pipe and set a 4" PVC pipe right on top. Well the massive sewer leeching from all the crack clay gave that beautiful pecan tree all the dookie it could drink.
    No offense intended ... it seems you are over stating and making an issue about something that isn't really an issue. Quite frankly I've never seen a plumbing or electrical inspector ever check the "torgue specification" on any connection .... not to say it's never ever happened ... just have never seen it done or known anyone that has.
    Your example of the shoddy plumber was just that .... a shoddy worker.

To me all this has the same texture and smell as the " dookie " that caused your pecan tree's demise.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

canuk put the stick down please

dang ..... if you say so.
    - Rush

The only instances that I'm aware of in which "plumbers" (actually pipe-fitters in this example) carry and use torque wrenches on the job is when they are constructing or doing maintenance on a nuclear facility ...or on the space shuttle. (Got friends in both arenas) I'm sure they are numerous other situations that require this also though.

In the above instances, the torque wrench is calibrated just before it is handed to them and checked again when they return it to the toolcrib. The whole process takes about an hour to do a 5 minute actual job.

I have never seen a plumber carry a torque wrench when doing simple residential plumbing. The notion that you'd need one... is fear-mongering.....CYA for the manufacturer of the fitting ...and good for the bottom line of the store trying to sell you one to simply tighten the clamps of a Fernco. Give me a break.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 09-27-2008 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    there are always people who try to complicate jobs by coming up with specialty tools that sell for a high price and try to make it sound like if you don't use that specific tool then you are substandard and unprofessional. but the truth lies in that a craftsman skilled and trained in their trade can tell when the clamp is tight
    Sounds to me like someone should come up with a staple gun and reformulated caulk for the job and do away with those darned torque fittings. Think of how much time can be spent with family and friends and hobbies!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Sounds to me like someone should come up with a staple gun and reformulated caulk for the job and do away with those darned torque fittings. Think of how much time can be spent with family and friends and hobbies!
    Hey I think your onto something there, and lasers could determine the size of the pipe and gap and you just simply haul in the 1500 lb machine and it will automatically seal up the pipe. It might need a little r & d but if someone is interested I'm sure we can e-mail them copies of a drawing that they then can build the machine

No .... no .... don't .... please no.
    - Rush

Angry Re: What is this pipe?

***, I never thought that giving your opinion on an issue would end up with so many board members poking fun at you like their still in kindergarten. This board was made to allow people the opportunity to help others with their OPINIONS! I choose to work with certain tools in every trade I do. I am sure our tools look nothing alike and you could spot you own tools a mile away. God knows I care for my tools more than my own girlfriend. With that being said it is perfectly ok to choose the tools you want to work with or not for that matter. But the bottom line is the homeowner that started this thread now has pretty much has all the facts and can choose a coarse of action based on what has been said. This thread should be locked effective immediately hahahahaha Or you could always just poke some more fun!

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Your example of the shoddy plumber was just that .... a shoddy worker.
    This is exactly why you should call a professional to work on any issue that could cause severe damage.