+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: What is this pipe?

Yes that is a DWV pipe (Drain Waste Vent) What your looking for is a 4" no hub coupling. That is made of all stainless other than the neoprene gasket. You will not find this item at a local hardware store. At least not around here you won't. However every plumbing supply shop will know exactly what you need for joining CI to CI without lead and oakum. You should go with a HD coupling for this application as there will be lateral stresses placed on that fitting with uncontrollable soil. That is more than likely why this fitting failed in the first place. If you have already replaced it with a regular Fernco mission band that should get you by until you call a licensed plumber to replace it with a HD no hub coupling. He will also be properly torquing the clamps as you will need an 80 dollar wrench for this. IMHO Electrical and Plumbing should be done by someone who is licensed. Everything else feel free to take on yourself. Fernco's part # for this no hub coupling I'm speaking of is HD-44 you can see it here http://www.fernco.com/NH.asp
    Last edited by remedialmofo; 09-26-2008 at 10:46 PM.

Uh Oh . Could it be ?

Quote Originally Posted by djohns View Post
    Uh Oh . Could it be ?
    Are you a cigar smoker, perhaps?

If so...I got one for ya.

You can see in the picture that the pipe had a no hub coupling in place, if the neoprene seal is still intact you can replace the stainless steel band and clamps with the band and clamps from a new no hub coupling. You can buy a new no hub coupling and torque wrench at Lowes for around $20.

Quote Originally Posted by Blake View Post
    You can buy a new no hub coupling and torque wrench at Lowes for around $20.
    Ideal makes a decent tee handled torque wrench specifically for no hub couplings for around 80 USD The color wrench is matched to the color of band on their shield. I seriously doubt any Lowes or Home Depot will carry this since it is a specialty tool available for professional plumbers. So it would be best to temporarily seal it and call in a professional to properly torque in a HD no hub coupling http://www.stant.com/no-hub/download...renchFlyer.pdf And you will not find a heavy duty coupling at any big box store!
    Last edited by remedialmofo; 09-27-2008 at 02:53 PM.

Lowes does sell a 60 inch pound T-handle torque wrench for $9.96 and they also sell American Valve no hub couplings.

and absolutly none of the plumbers on the job use that specialty wrench around here. try to sell them one for which they have long used a simple socket wrench and they will probally laugh you off the job site as very impractical and wasteful. there are always people who try to complicate jobs by coming up with specialty tools that sell for a high price and try to make it sound like if you don't use that specific tool then you are substandard and unprofessional. but the truth lies in that a craftsman skilled and trained in their trade can tell when the clamp is tight simply by seeing the rubber just starting to come up through the slots in the clamp. keep screwing the clamp tight and it busts, not enough and it leaks. not rocket science regardless of what some try to make it seem.

Torque wrench ????
    Yep ... plenty of trades folks walk around with a torque wrench.
    .... and the last time I saw a plumber or electrician use a torque wrench to set a fastener was ... ummm ... never.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    and absolutly none of the plumbers on the job use that specialty wrench around here. try to sell them one for which they have long used a simple socket wrench and they will probally laugh you off the job site as very impractical and wasteful. there are always people who try to complicate jobs by coming up with specialty tools that sell for a high price and try to make it sound like if you don't use that specific tool then you are substandard and unprofessional. but the truth lies in that a craftsman skilled and trained in their trade can tell when the clamp is tight simply by seeing the rubber just starting to come up through the slots in the clamp. keep screwing the clamp tight and it busts, not enough and it leaks. not rocket science regardless of what some try to make it seem.
    You are right I couldn't possibly imagine everybody and their mother walking around with these torque wrenches. But in my opinion I would not allow anybody to guesstimate how tight they have it in inch pounds. The manufacturer calls for a certain amount in inch pounds not guesstimated inch pounds. You think I would let you or anybody else for that matter touch the internal components of my motor without torque wrenches. I would imagine you and the others mount rims on your cars without the use of torque wrenches too. And yes this is comparing apples to oranges but plumping repairs can cost just as much in damage as automotive repairs. But ya to each is own so continue what you do in your trade as if this conversation never took place.

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Torque wrench ????
    Yep ... plenty of trades folks walk around with a torque wrench.
    .... and the last time I saw a plumber or electrician use a torque wrench to set a fastener was ... ummm ... never.
    What I was getting at was the fact that there is to much at stake with plumbing and electrical work. It is just my opinion that the basic run of the mill do it yourselfer should leave these two trades to the professional. Sure if some guy or girl wants to play around under the sink by all means.My father paid a guy to put a cleanout right outside the house. Several years later when I moved in. I thought long and hard as to why the most gigantic pecan tree in my neighborhood had died. I had an assumption and went digging by the cleanout that was put in about 30ft from the tree. What I had found was that not only did the guy not find the buried cast cleanout but simply hammered a hole in the clay pipe and set a 4" PVC pipe right on top. Well the massive sewer leeching from all the crack clay gave that beautiful pecan tree all the dookie it could drink.