+ Reply to Thread

Default Sewer smell at 1st floor bathroom, all traps full

I have an intermittent sewer smell in my first floor bathroom coming from the toilet area. I have a double vanity, toilet, and shower in the 1st floor bathroom; and a single vanity, toilet, and shower in the 2nd floor bathroom. Both bathrooms have forced venting, if desired. All the traps are full of water. I checked both vent stacks on the roof and they are clog free. Several months ago the 1st floor toilet would gurgle when running the washing machine, but that does not occur anymore. There is no smell in any of the sinks, showers, or in the laundry area. I am on a septic tank system.

I have tile in both bathrooms, so double wax rings are installed. The water drains easily in all sinks/showers/toilets/washer. Do I need to reset the toilet? Should I installed an extended flange and use a standard wax ring? Should I extend the toilet sewer pipe to basically floor level so I only have to use one wax ring? What else could be causing the problem?
    Last edited by dogedog11; 09-18-2008 at 05:04 PM.

Default Re: Sewer smell at 1st floor bathroom, all traps full

You could do what I always do and blame the dog!

I would suspect the wax ring is leaking some sewer gas and would try to reset the tank. That is pretty easy and cheap to try before anything else.

what I have done several times is to add extension rings to the pipe to raise it to floor level these extension rings can be bought bought at lowes and come in different sizes so that they can be matched exactally to floor height. this way you only have to use a single wax ring and less likely to have problems with sewer gas.

Thanks, I'll try reinstalling the toliet.