+ Reply to Thread

Default staining concrete steps

looking for tips on staining concrete steps. I have cleaned them off so they are free of mold, dirt etc. Not looking to do any decorative design, just a basic color. Any suggestions on products and best way to apply it to the surface

Default Re: staining concrete steps

Atmoore,

Behr has a line of both solid and semi-transparent acrylic based concrete stains. The Solid is opague. It will totally blank out any discoloration on the concrete. It is thinner than a concrete paint and penetrates deeper into the concrete. It is much less likely to have peeling problems than a full bodied paint.
    The Transparent stain will allow the concrete to show through. It is generally used where there is an exposed aggregate type of fish is present. The transparent can be sprayed on with a garden sprayer using two colors to give an acid washed look.

Both the solid and transparent stains are used over Behr's concrete bonding agent. This is a type of clear primer which is put on, let dry for 8 hours, and then stained over.

If you desire a sheen to the stain, it may be top coated with Behr's clear acrylic concrete coating in either gloss or low sheen.

Most concrete finishes state not to use the product until new concrete has aged at least 30 days. I do not know if this is true of acid stains. It is certainly true of latex and oil based stains. Possibly acid stains would aid in neutralizing the new alkaline concrete.

Thanks Ordjen for your reply, info very helpful, will probably go with your suggestion on the Behr stain. I also agree with you that concrete must age for a time before stain can be applied. Checking ******, some say that it should set for up to 6mos-1yr. My steps are very old so this is not a concern for me. Again, thanks for the advise