+ Reply to Thread

Default Paint Choice for Front Door Frame

I am restoring an 1895 house and have stripped the front door to its natural wood. I've restored and repainted the interior foyer with sage and white trim (it was originally white with dark brown trim) and am now trying to figure out the rules for painting the doorframe. The exterior trim (that matches the interior foyer trim) is dark green, but the middle area (door jamb area where the door abuts) is still the dark brown. Should I paint it white or should it be painted dark green? I'm assuming that there is a rule about this, but can't figure out what it is. The door will remain natural. Any advice would be appreciated.

Default Re: Paint Choice for Front Door Frame

If I can tell what you're asking, It sounds like you would paint the jamb the same color as the interior trim. Paint it up to the inside edge of the door stop and let the face of the stop and outer part of the jamb match the outside trim color.

Good Luck.

Hi.
    The rule, if there is any, is paint what you see the most. That is if you are inside and would notice the color more then match to the frame. Passing through a door frame is fast so you almost never notice the color transition.
    all the best
    mark

I agree. Basically, close the door, what you see from the inside, including in the crack between the door and jamb, match to the inside, what you see from the outside match to the outside.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb