+ Reply to Thread

Default Freezing Pipes - Permanent Solution?

The pipes in basement bathroom are right on exterior wall, have frozen before and burst once, I have insulated these copper pipes and added heat tape. Now I want to remodel the bathroom and I'm wondering if there is permanent solution to freezing pipes or else my remodel will be a wasted effort.
    Thanks

Default Re: Freezing Pipes - Permanent Solution?

Howdy can you re rout the lines away from the outside wall? or consider spray foam insulation on the ouside wall to stop any air infiltration.

Tim,
    Thank you - don't think it's possible to reroute pipes - must look into the other solution for exterior wall.

Use foam insulation to create an air tight cavity that completely isolates the pipes from the cold wall, BUT does NOT isolate the pipes from the warm wall.

It would be a lot cheaper just to reroute the pipes to the warm interior.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Keyword Electric Heating Cable and take your pick, there's some that have built in stats.

I had the pipes wrapped in electric heat cable after the pipes burst - my concern is that this may not last. I want to tile the wall the pipes are on and make some other improvements too - many people on these boards are suggesting rerouting the plumbing - I don't think this will be cheap and I don't have the cash right now. Will see what kind of$$ contractor wants.

Howdy might change the pipes out to pex because it can freeze and thaw without failure per the literature....