+ Reply to Thread

Default Dishwasher Sewer Gas

Recently my dishwasher has been releasing an awful smell from my garbage disposal. I assume it is sewer gas however, I do not know why it started or what to do. I have run the dishwasher clean and the garbage disposal. Still no help..Any suggestions?

Default Re: Dishwasher Sewer Gas

Quote Originally Posted by thinksnowwhat View Post
    Recently my dishwasher has been releasing an awful smell from my garbage disposal. I assume it is sewer gas however, I do not know why it started or what to do. I have run the dishwasher clean and the garbage disposal. Still no help..Any suggestions?
    It seems very unlikely that sewer gas would find its way thru the DW drain hose and escape at the DW since this path would create far more resistance than for the gas to simply escape up and out of the disposer.

The smell might not be sewer gas.

A simple test can prove whether or not the smell is coming from the disposer: disconnect the DW drain hose from where it connects to the disposer. Put a cork or some other plug in the disposer's drain connection and let it sit this way overnight, with the DW door closed. In the morning, open the door and see if there's any odor. If there is, it means the source is other than the disposer.

Also in the morning, sniff at the disposer itself to see if there's any odor.

Do these checks in the morning before you've run any water from the kitchen faucet.

If the checks show no odor, turn on the hot water only, and see if you get a rotten-egg smell from it. If so, then you have a colony of bacteria growing in your water heater. Harmless, but stinky. Post back for the solution if that's what you find.

Default Re: Dishwasher Sewer Gas

howdy, consider adding a cup of vinegar to the dishwasher then run a load of dishes. An add a cup to the sink drains. Old remedy to odors.