+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default What happened to This OLD House?

Is anyone a bit concerned about the direction of the show? Why are they building a new house? As we all know, the core of the show has been about renovating old houses and dealing with all of the unique situations that come with that. While I realize some projects have required a lot of new construction in parts, I am just concerned about how far they will stray from what has made the show such fun to watch for all these years.

Default Re: What happened to This OLD House?

The purpose of the show is to introduce you to improved construction methods, new materials and the latest technology in home building - the fact that they're showing these techniques on a brand new home vs. a 1850's farm house really isn't relevant as far as I'm concerned.

New houses , sky high budgets and high end materials , etc . are the reason I have pretty much lost interest in the show .

Got me to thinking:

I have no idea what the new show is about. I got so sick of PBS pledge drives that I lost interest. I have not watched TOH in at least a year, maybe two.

About 25 years ago, or so I toured a museum in Glenwood Springs, CO. It was an old Victorian home that was made into a museum.

It was not a really large home and I do not remember much about what was in the museum (Old stuff.) but the lines of the house and the lay-out have been burned into my head.

It will never happen but a life long dream has to build a copy of that place using all new materials. Making it an energy efficient home.

I feel that TOH is just trying to make people aware of the fact that pre-fab is becoming a lot more popular because of all of it's benefits. It's very "green" to build pre-fab and pre-fab has come a long way as far as the many types of home styles and sizes. I don't think we have anything to worry about

Quote Originally Posted by djohns View Post
    New houses , sky high budgets and high end materials , etc . are the reason I have pretty much lost interest in the show .

I agree!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw
    I got so sick of PBS pledge drives that I lost interest..
    I agree with that too.
    "Life does not go by the book, we learn as we go along".

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

I too have lost interest in TOH. Those of us who are not millionaires can find little application for these expensive re-dos. I loved it when they did an old house in Dorchester and the two decker in East Boston - you could see that the owners really appreciated the help. These people in Newton, Winchester and Weston can pay for their own architects, experts and contractors. I guess it's only the big money projects, fancy owners and fabulous neighborhoods that get the attention of TOH. As they say in the McLaughlin Report: "Bye Bye" for me.

I'd love for them to help a poor guy out, I'm currently building a 30x50x12 pole barn which will be converted into a house/home, The only cheapest construction I could think of. I have nice plans for it but I know it will take years to get it the way I want it cause I'm not built on money. I would like the sprayed on foam I saw on an episode, I do want a tight building... after that... I guess I'll start building walls..

If you guys want to help out a poor sap let me know.

I too say kiss off this season of TOH.
    A pre-fab house, really?
    But I also think Ask This Old House beats it hands down as well.
    Last edited by Ernie_Fergler; 10-12-2008 at 12:27 PM. Reason: spell check

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    I too say kiss off this season of TOH.
    A pre-fab house, really?
    But I also think Ask This Old House beats it hands down as well.
    It's the only thing worth watching .