+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: What happened to This OLD House?

I just can't understand why a couple with 2 children need to add 5000 sq ft on to a 3ooo sq ft house or they need a 9000 sq ft week-ender and that seems to be all they do any more. The latest products and construction techniques can be used and shown adding a bed room to a ranch style house or modernizing not nearly replacing or tripling the size of an old house.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I to am dissapointed with the direction of the show. Not only are the projcts high end but, they always have to talk about being "Green" and recycleing. Lets face it, no one NEEDS these huge homes they work on (not to mention the energy they will need to heat and cool them)Very Hypicritical. Also, wouldn't it be "Green" to work with what is already there instead of tearing down a building and reconstructing a new structure. The magazine used to be great, but now seems to be more like THIS GREEN HOUSE. Being green is good but,if I wanted a magazine about being "Green" I would buy one!!!!! I love old house renovation and enjoyed the magazine when that is what it was about.

Yeah , I'm tired of having " Green " shoved down my throat .
    And it's only going to get worse . Something tells me that
    this shift to high end materials and methods is somehow related
    to $$$$$$$$$$ .

Goggle "Leeds Projects"

Quote Originally Posted by djohns View Post
    Yeah , I'm tired of having " Green " shoved down my throat .
    And it's only going to get worse . Something tells me that
    this shift to high end materials and methods is somehow related
    to $$$$$$$$$$ .
    Everybody wanted to jump on the "Green" ship the last year or so.
    I too am worn out with that term.

TOH a great concept. I learned alot from the earlier years. But now it's out distanced me with tools, products and costs the average guy or meduium size contractor wouldn't be able to handle. I have a 100 year old victorian that i am slowly fixing up. I need more shows that talk about those techniques, materials and such.
    Last edited by catm960; 10-16-2008 at 09:38 PM. Reason: misspellings

Question Re: What happened to This OLD House?

I am blue in the face with "green"

Face it, they've been doing this for about 30 years and it has to be hard to keep outdoing yourself year after year. In some ways I do miss the old show, but money drives these things, and there is more money in new construction than in renovation. But in the big scheme of things, there is still nothing nicer than a 1900's house refitted with 21st century infrastructure. I suspect ATOH was brought in as a means of keeping the flavor of the old show. Who knows, with a shrinking economy, they may find themselves having to go back to the old format as more people become DIY's again out of necessity. At least the big house in Concord required them to refit into the original shell. I guess the part I miss the most is the absence of homeowner involvement except for $$$. They probably had to give that up for liability concerns. In some ways I wish I'd video'd my renovation of a 1910 4-square which I could have sold to HBO as This Old Effing House. The number of nightmare POD (previous owner's doings) events was staggering. My favorite was opening up the backside of a bathroom wall and having several hundred double edge razor blades cascade out from the space below the medicine chest. It would have brought back some of the humor and surprises that are missing from the current series. I guess I also get a bit annoyed at people who talk about their renovations, but who never actually picked up a hammer during the whole process.

That's the point . You don't HAVE to outdo yourself . TOH had something good going and chose to morph into something MORE PROFITABLE . Who is paying their bills ? Not Joe the homeowner that's looking for advice on how to repair his plaster wall or rebuild his porch . It's the corporate sponsors selling high end windows and restaraunt quality appliances , etc . They are chasing the corporate dollars .

I've really lost interest in TOH and that's a sad thing. I always respected this show, but it's lost its direction. It started with that Megahouse/barn where they brought in designers to tart up every room in the house. What'd that place cost when it was done? C'mon. Now we're deep into what seems to be a season-long infomercial for that timber framing company. All so this rich couple can build a palace for them and their two kids. And the characters I've grown to respect (Norm, Richard, etc) seem to be lead around on a tour.

It's just plain sad.

How about real houses, for real people, where they - wait for it - fix up an old house. I should walk away from these shows inspired to roll up my sleeves and tackle projects on my home. The message anymore seems to be don't bother - tear it down, hire architects, landscapers, contractors, and fill it full of name-brand fixtures. Well - that ain't gonna happen people. I live on planet earth. Don't preach to me about green with that approach. Green ain't tearing down and building new - it's making use of existing homes - you know - recycling.

I'll be waiting when ya'll come to your senses.

Nathan
    Houston, TX