+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: What happened to Thi jus s OLD House?

I agree with you guys. I have a house built in 1930. I have redone just about everything all over. but i have blown in insulation and not the foam, formica counter not granite and i built my own cabinets not custom built with oak or river bottom logs. i remember when you saw something that you could actually do on your own home. oh well, when i win the lottery i'll give them a call.

Default Re: What happened to This OLD House?

I love the "Ask This Old House" show, but as grand as the "This Old House" show is ...

I'm just waiting to see the $100,000.00 Hummer converted to a hybrid to reflect the really "green" nature of the eco-friendly effort.

What does it mean to save energy but spend money willy nilly on a BARN, money can't make a pretty pig, just an expensive one.

I'm curious... just how many of the "This Old House" project owners actually watch the show.

The amount of money spent on the Weston House looks like it might exceed $1,500,000.00 dollars in mortgage loans already, and (IT'S A NEW HOUSE).

Our country faces difficult economic times and we are still rewarding / envying reckless spending and forsaken substance.

I have lost the light. I can no longer understand the message. I just want to keep my house in good shape and make improvements as time and money allow.

With that I'll watch from the sidelines, and hope all's well, but I don't need to renew my subscription, it's up next month.

later,

Keith Parker

I couldnt agree with all the comments. The shows are still enjoyable but there is something that is definitely missing. I really wish they would get back to basics and start to talk about how much the construction costs. I have no idea how much any of what they are doing costs. So, please TOH, get back to basics.

In so many ways , it's all about the money .

I too was turned off by this season's project. The pre-fab aspect was interesting from a technical standpoint but it soon became obvious that this was being erected as a McMansion showcase for those with very deep pockets. By the final episode I had enough of do-no-wrong, politically correct Amy. Pure snob appeal. How fitting the project was capped with a custom made copper weathervane. C'on TOH. Get back to basics and those of us without Wall Street incomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_54 View Post
    The Weston project seems to be an exercise to see how many tons of raw materials can be consumed by one family. It's appalling. And now they are going to get a "Green" certification as well, what a joke. This Old House is definitely setting a bad example.
    ......and with all this "green" I noticed or should I say I didn't notice that the Westons DID NOT have a clothesline in the back yard. It can't get anymore green than that. Humm, guess I must have been "green" and didn't even know it, because I too, live in Brooklyn and have been using a clothesline for the last 25 years....

Lets hope on the new project in, where else...Brooklyn, we see a giant iron ladder located in the rear of the backyard with a clothesline attatched to it from the house.

Its really unfortunate that a home is torn down and its materials thrown into a landfill only to be replaced with a larger house requiring new raw materials and more energy to heat and electrify it and be called green. Its a shame that TOH appears to be advocating for larger homes. I'm dumbfounded when Kevin, Steve or today it was Norm, walk into a space and ask, will this be large enough for your new kitchen? You should be applauding small not deterring others from it. Perhaps they won't have room for their built-in Miele espresso maker?

The comment about '..is the kitchen large enough?', struck a nerve with me. I can recall a number of shows where there were tours of small homes/cottages and the show's host would make light of the small kitchens or rooms.I know it's a fine line that the hosts walk,but not everyone wants/needs a 2,000 sq ft kitchen. Maybe,because we downsized to a townhome, I'm overly sensitive to such comments. However, I just shake my head when I see commercial stoves, three dishwashers,meat-locker sized fridges,etc in a kitchen whose size would put many restaurants to shame. These folks must be incredible cooks. I cook a lot and make do with so much less. I think with the Economy the way it is that we all need a reality check!For what it's worth...

Quote Originally Posted by Lmarth View Post
    The comment about '..is the kitchen large enough?', struck a nerve with me. I can recall a number of shows where there were tours of small homes/cottages and the show's host would make light of the small kitchens or rooms.I know it's a fine line that the hosts walk,but not everyone wants/needs a 2,000 sq ft kitchen. Maybe,because we downsized to a townhome, I'm overly sensitive to such comments. However, I just shake my head when I see commercial stoves, three dishwashers,meat-locker sized fridges,etc in a kitchen whose size would put many restaurants to shame. These folks must be incredible cooks. I cook a lot and make do with so much less. I think with the Economy the way it is that we all need a reality check!For what it's worth...
    I think the comments about the economy and collective gastronomic sloth is right there.

I do not begrudge those who can afford it at all.

I am personally tweaking a design for an economical mini house to put on a property with these views every day.

http://www.huerfanocounty.org/images.../sangres01.jpg

Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb