+ Reply to Thread

Default how to smooth out hollow tile concrete block interior walls that are already painted?

hello there,

i want to re-paint the walls inside my old apartment. the walls are hollow tile concrete blocks that are painted already. before i re-paint the walls, i want to smooth out the surface to cover the ugly concrete block gaps and lines. i am not a handy-man and i just want to do this as simple as possible. i was told to use 'all-purpose spackling paste', but my concern is that spackling paste may not work on concrete blocks with painted surface. another suggestion is to use 'mortar mix' and the 'bonding adhesive', but this is a lot of work with all the dust and dirt. putting the dry walls to cover the concrete block walls is too complicated for me. what is your simple and easy suggestion to make the walls smooth and flat before i re-paint them?

thank you!!

Default Re: how to smooth out hollow tile concrete block interior walls that are already pain

There's no magical way to get smooth walls on your tile blocks without some mess and effort. Ordinary drywall compounds don't really have the ability to fill the grooves in the block. If it has many evenly-spaced grooves, they were for the plaster to grab on to. The only real and lasting job involves plastering with three coats. If you'd be willing to settle for a float finish (sandy-textured like stucco) it could be done in two coats, but as you understand it's days of work and mess. But it will last a lifetime and be smooth and paintable once cured. A method requiring a smaller set of skills would be to fasten furring strips and apply regular drywall, and tape the seams. This will not really take any less time than plastering, but conceivably more DIY-friendly.
    Casey
    Last edited by Sombreuil_mongrel; 03-15-2010 at 07:11 PM. Reason: spellin'
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Default Re: how to smooth out hollow tile concrete block interior walls that are already pain

Quote Originally Posted by gojohnnygogo View Post
    hello there,

i want to re-paint the walls inside my old apartment. the walls are hollow tile concrete blocks that are painted already. before i re-paint the walls, i want to smooth out the surface to cover the ugly concrete block gaps and lines. i am not a handy-man and i just want to do this as simple as possible. i was told to use 'all-purpose spackling paste', but my concern is that spackling paste may not work on concrete blocks with painted surface. another suggestion is to use 'mortar mix' and the 'bonding adhesive', but this is a lot of work with all the dust and dirt. putting the dry walls to cover the concrete block walls is too complicated for me. what is your simple and easy suggestion to make the walls smooth and flat before i re-paint them?

thank you!!
    Simple way for a DIY job would be to use a product called Master of Plaster a very user friendly product.
    First check to see if the paint is load bearing ( will it hold the weight)to do this use a utility knife scribe a one inch square than scribe vertical every 3/16 inch than scribe 3/16 inch horizonal apply a piece of tape over the scribed lines pressing to make sure it has good contact.than pull off if more than 25 / 30 % of the paint comes off with the tape I would not apply any plaster or cement direct to the paint with or without a bonding agent.Do the above test in several places on the affected wall.
    If all test are ok than you can apply the MOP product no bonding agent required.
    Apply the first coat of base material let dry than apply a second coat of base material trowel this coat smooth.
    If you decide than a smoother coat is required than use the finish coat of MOP.
    This product requires only mixing with a drill motor with a mixing paddle of your choice.
    What you don't use can be keep it will not set in the pail.
    You can double back as you require no cold joints.

Another option would be to use A product called STO PLEX as a surface conditioner than level out with STO BTS Extra trowel this smooth, prime and paint or apply a STO finish this may not be as user friendly.