+ Reply to Thread

Default New Beam, Old Joists

I'm looking to correct the sagging, bouncing floors beneath the dining room in my 150 yr old house. My plan for this is to install a new beam in the basement supported by lally columns. Not to sure how much of the sag I can fix, but if I can get rid of the bounce I'll be content.

The problem is this: The bottom of the existing joists are not even (off by as much as ~3"), due both to differential sagging of the beams and the fact that it seems at least two of them had been replaced prior. How can I properly support uneven joists with the even top of the new beam? I assume notching the beam to fit is a no-no. Should I notch what already appear to be defficient joists? Can I shim the difference? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: New Beam, Old Joists

You should shim the difference to the higher joists. Do not notch the beam or the joists.

Default Re: New Beam, Old Joists

Use hardwood shims or other non-compressive material to shim the shorter joists to the taller joists. You'll likely have to slowly raise the floor in sections as opposed to the whole thing in one shot.