+ Reply to Thread

Default Change bathroom fan switch to timer

My bathroom was re-modelled about 18 months ago. I have 2 switches in a double box which operate the light and the fan. I want to replace the fan switch with an electronic timer.

There are 5 cables coming into the box. (I'm not sure if some of these feed the receptacle, in a separate box further along the
    wall.)

All the grounds are twisted and connected and all 5 white wires are twisted and connected.

Each of the switches has a black wire coming in and out, but there is also a black wire connecting the bottom screw on one switch to the top screw on the other...

I'm just trying to work out which wires to connect to which (colored) wires on the new timer switch (and yes, I did check its rated for a fan, not just a light!).

Any ideas? I can draw and scan in a diagram if that would help!
    Thanks

Default Re: Change bathroom fan switch to timer

Quote Originally Posted by ajax010 View Post
    My bathroom was re-modelled about 18 months ago. I have 2 switches in a double box which operate the light and the fan. I want to replace the fan switch with an electronic timer.

There are 5 cables coming into the box. (I'm not sure if some of these feed the receptacle, in a separate box further along the
    wall.)

All the grounds are twisted and connected and all 5 white wires are twisted and connected.

Each of the switches has a black wire coming in and out, but there is also a black wire connecting the bottom screw on one switch to the top screw on the other...

I'm just trying to work out which wires to connect to which (colored) wires on the new timer switch (and yes, I did check its rated for a fan, not just a light!).

Any ideas? I can draw and scan in a diagram if that would help!
    Thanks
    You can remove the old switch and connect the same wires connected switch to the timer same as it was. The black wire connecting the two switches together is the hot wire. The other black wire is going to feed the fan. it does not matter what wire is on what terminal as long as you have one wire on each connection of the timer. make sure you have a tight connection. Most timers I have seen have wires so twist the wiresthen put on the wire nut.
    Harry