+ Reply to Thread

Default Cinder block foundation leaks

i have a cinder block foundation and water can easily leak through during heavy rains. you can actually hear it trickling inside the wall. there are 2 sizes of block, where i do have access to pour from above.

my question is there any way to inject/pour a liquid cement slurry into the cinder blocks to form a solid wall??

thanks

jim

Default Re: Cinder block foundation leaks

I would be almost impossible to fill a block wall. Even with an open form vibrators are used to force air pockets out and settle the concrete in. The best bet would be drainage outside along the wall or dig down and water proof the out side of the wall.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    I would be almost impossible to fill a block wall. Even with an open form vibrators are used to force air pockets out and settle the concrete in. The best bet would be drainage outside along the wall or dig down and water proof the out side of the wall.
    Jack
    even if the cemnet to be poured is a very liquid slurry..ie no rocks in it??

lenz:

I would agree with JLMC; they have cement trucks that deliver slurry, but they are not designed to seal a wall and stop leaks; it would be a waste of time and money.

The sites below shows some of the steps that have to be done to stop water pressure buildup on the outside of the wall.

They are designed as JLMC notes to be done from the outside of the wall to a) prevent water pressure buildup; b) to seal the wall against water penetration; c) to provide footing drains to carry the water away from the foundation base to a dry well or runoff; and d) to deflect roof runoff and surface water AWAY from the foundation.

At the 2nd site, use the + icon, "page sizing","back" and "close" buttons to navigate around the drawings.

The most effective method is unfortunately, the labor-intensive task of digging a trench along the outside of the wall down to the footings and installing perforated plastic drain tiles out to a drywell, and sealing the exterior of the wall with a waterproof membrane.

The drawing also shows a sump pump installed inside the building, which is usually a less expensive, less labor-intensive method of at least keeping the cellar dry, if not an ideal solution to the problem.

Don't ignore the other methods of diverting rainwater away from the foundation, such as making sure the roof gutters and downspouts are working & are diverting as much water as possible away from the foundation.

Sloping the ground away from the building will help to some degree, as well as installing drain pipes to carry roof runoff at least 10' away from the foundation.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...tml?page=1&c=y
    http://illustratedhome******.com/gallery.php?gid=60
    Last edited by Dobbs; 03-16-2010 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lenz View Post
    i have a cinder block foundation and water can easily leak through during heavy rains. you can actually hear it trickling inside the wall. there are 2 sizes of block, where i do have access to pour from above.

my question is there any way to inject/pour a liquid cement slurry into the cinder blocks to form a solid wall??

thanks

jim
    Quote Originally Posted by lenz View Post
    even if the cemnet to be poured is a very liquid slurry..ie no rocks in it??
    I agree with Jack and Dobbs.
    trying to pour in a slurry wouldn't do anything to prevent water infiltration through the blocks. Besides, the slurry would likely end up cracking due to shrinkage once the water evaporates after installation --- you wouldn't be able to ensure a uniform filling of the blocks --- cement or concrete isn't water proof anyways.

Stop and think for a minute ---- the source of the water is from outside ---- prevent the water from from outside from soaking into the blocks by water proofing the exterior walls and provide proper drainage away from the blocks.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

ok thanks for the replies. i have an internal 'french drainage system' now, the sump pump takes care of rising ground water. but you can hear water trickling down the inside of the blocks.
    i don't want to dig arounf the house as it would destroy my beer hop vines.

no beer hops vs no seepage

i'll take the seepage

thanks
    for the replies

excellent site as usual

jim

dang it jim where do you live I may wish to swing by and sample some wares