+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shower valve

Default Shower valve

I have a shower that doesn't stop dripping. It has one valve and i cann't get it out, is there a trick or anything to doing this?

Default Re: Shower valve

What is the brand and approximate age?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I am not sure for either. Its older though, i have pictures but my card reader is down so i can't upload them yet.

From other pictures i have see ****** i think its a delta, it says "Scald-Guard" on the lower side of the cover plate.

Start with this link to see if anything looks familiar. If your faucet is there, then Google that faucet for a repair manual, it will give you instructions for disassembly and repair.

Generally, if it's a plastic handle, the center of the handle has a cap that will pop off. Under that cap is a screw that holds the handle to the valve stem. Metal handles will have a set screw on the underside of the handle. Once the handle is off you can get to the cartridge of the faucet. Repair of the faucet will require turning off the water main to the house and relieving the pressure in the lines by opening the valve.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks, i did end up finding one close to mine on google. It should be as easy as taking off a nut thing but i cant get the thing to move it looks a lot like this one and sounds to have the same problems. But i dont know how to repair it if i break it

actually like this onebut the nut does not come off

Well, at least you've found a step by step procedure to walk you through the repair. You always want to proceed slowly and carefully. If this were a sink you could do whatever you want because if you break the faucet it's not that big a deal to replace AND it's got shut off valves under it, so you can turn off the water at the location instead of the entire house. The shower is another story. If you break something here, you're without water until you get the system repaired, which could be a few hours to a few days, depending on your abilities and the availability of a plumber.

I say to use extreme care to see if you can work the nut loose. See if there's some corrosion that can be cleaned off to ease removal. Work the nut tighter, then loosen a few times, again with extreme caution. If things don't budge, stop what you're doing and consult a plumber. Be prepared to have to tear into the wall for valve replacement, which will mean more expense. Hopefully you'll get it to move. Once the nut is off, replacing or rebuilding the cartridge is easy.

Good luck and report back your progress.