+ Reply to Thread

Default Wall pulling away from ceiling

I have some wall in my house that seperates from the ceiling, it only does it during the winter months, thought I might need to jack up the house but not sure since it goes back together when it warms up in the spring any suggestions

Default Re: Wall pulling away from ceiling

I would have liked to see a location of that wall but what you describe isn't unusual for some parts of the world.

Clay is absorbent. In locations such as Colorado in the US where they’re foundations are largely built on clay, the builders know that the ground expands and contracts. They build their foundations in the perimeter fashion (which is a very thick and deep foundation wall surrounding the house) and build the inner foundation on a slab or built up slab in between. They do that because a monoslab (one solid flat slab of concrete with walls resting on the edges) would crack and a footing wall (which isn’t allowed anymore in Colorado) would sink in some places and not in others making for a sloped building.

Essentially, your foundation is staying where it should and your inner walls are sinking and rising with changing moisture in your local ground soil. Building codes today ask for “floating walls” in those situations. Floating walls are walls that, basically, hang from the ceiling and float distance from the floor.

You could hide some of the movement with variations of crown moldings or trim. As the house has been there a while, modifications to the walls to accommodate float would be expensive and time consuming.

Two questions. Is there a roof or floor above where this is happening?? Second, is it near and exterior or interior wall??

If there is a roof above it and next to an interior wall, u might be experiencing what's called "truss uplift", where usually partition walls are not nailed to the trusses, which is common practice, so it's not fault of the framer. Believe it or not, it's the fault of whoever drywalled ur house. Quality drywallers now screw the drywall at least one foot away from where any 'truss uplift might happen, which in turn resists this from happening.

Now if it is a floor above u, or it's near and exterior wall, it's probably simple expansion and contraction. which so far there is no good cure for in wood framed houses.