+ Reply to Thread

Default Please help! I cannot get my recessed lights to work!

Hi guys, I would appreciate any help! I installed a couple of new construction 3 inch Halo recessed IC lights before the drywall was put in without checking connection first (there was a big time crunch) and conduit going to a switch box to which I have access to from the back of the wall. Knowing that the cans were going to be covered, I checked all the connections a million times and am positive everything was done correctly. When I finally ran the conduit to the breaker box and got everything connected - the lights do not work.

Just for the record, right before that I installed 24 six inch Halo cans and all of them work fine so I kind of thought I knew what I was doing......

There is power coming to the switch and going out to the lights, the neutral wire also has power going back. The wires that are peeking through the top of the can lights also have power through them. I used three different switches to make sure it's not a switch problem. I also tried different light bulbs.... I am out of ideas.... Does anybody know if there is a fix for it? THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

Valerie

Default Re: Please help! I cannot get my recessed lights to work!

Are you measuring voltage at the lamp socket?
    There should be 120v between the button and the threaded socket housing.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

What do you mean by "the neutral wire also has power going back."?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

im thinking the same thing as jack here. you should have no power on the neutral. it sounds like you have an open neutral! which means the neutral is not connected to the panel. somewhere you need have a loose wire nut, or termination. good luck