+ Reply to Thread

Default Garage Floor Epoxy

I am in the process of readying my garage floor for an epoxy coat. I was wondering if anyone knew if you are supposed to fill in the pre-cut parts in the floor before or after paint. Also what is the best to use to fill these in.

Default Re: Garage Floor Epoxy

I was wondering if anyone knew if you are supposed to fill in the pre-cut parts in the floor before or after paint.
    I'm guessing you mean the contol joints.
    It's not necessary to fill them but if you feel you need to then use a latex caulk before applying your covering.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Ya I didn't know what they were called. So its ok just to leave them unfilled. Thanks for the reply!

Yep ..... it's ok to leave them as is and you're welcome.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

When we professionally install an epoxy floor we fill the joint with a FLEXIBLE SEALANT. NEVER 100% SILICONE. In most areas these are CUT with a concrete saw. We often just fill it with a painters caulk, a 35 year Silicone/acrylic mix.

In some areas of the country it is common to use a "tooled" joint. When they use an Edger or Radiused edge joint tool. These leave gaps up to 3/4" wide. It would work to use the painters caulk on these but if you use a creeper or floor jack these can EASILY become damaged. In that case I would suggest an epoxy joint fill that has the flexibility of a red pencil eraser. This will give you toughness and flexibility.

Filling in these cracks do 2 things. Since you are installing the floor to both look nice and clean easy, WHY would you leave a 'crack' for dirt and debris to collect. Also you don't need those when cleaning it makes the sweeping process more difficult.

See my Flickr page for photos of "filled Cracks"
    For a Professional Installation Visit: Hidden Content
    Ton's of Pics: Hidden Content

Cool Re: Garage Floor Epoxy

To the epoxy floor guy.
    Some really nice floor jobs !! Saw a lot of the top of your head !! That goes with the work !

Unhappy Re: Garage Floor Epoxy

This is a question for the Epoxy Floor Guy, if he doesn't mind --
    I had my basement floor done for an office/playroom, and the results are terrible; deep cracks showing, an uneven surface (not bubbles, but just the original floor texture). My contractor hasn't seen the dry floor yet but says cracks are to be expected, since my floor wasn't new -- it's seven years old and never touched, though, except for a French drain installed around the edges. The hairline cracks and uneven pitting are everywhere. It looks like someone simply slapped a coat of thin paint on -- not at all like I expected from epoxy.

Could this be a result of too much heat during drying, as it's a basement application, or some other application error? My guy is experienced and highly recommended, so I'm guessing it's something he didn't foresee in the environment? He never did an interior residential application. Any advice appreciated. I'm heartbroken as I love the bright, clean look of epoxy. At least, what I expected epoxy to be. Many thanks, Tamara
    Last edited by Tamara; 02-28-2009 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    This is a question for the Epoxy Floor Guy, if he doesn't mind --
    I had my basement floor done for an office/playroom, and the results are terrible; deep cracks showing, an uneven surface (not bubbles, but just the original floor texture). My contractor hasn't seen the dry floor yet but says cracks are to be expected, since my floor wasn't new -- it's seven years old and never touched, though, except for a French drain installed around the edges. The hairline cracks and uneven pitting are everywhere. It looks like someone simply slapped a coat of thin paint on -- not at all like I expected from epoxy.

Could this be a result of too much heat during drying, as it's a basement application, or some other application error? My guy is experienced and highly recommended, so I'm guessing it's something he didn't foresee in the environment? He never did an interior residential application. Any advice appreciated. I'm heartbroken as I love the bright, clean look of epoxy. At least, what I expected epoxy to be. Many thanks, Tamara
    To answer your question, epoxy is ONLY a coating, so your "slap a cheap coat of paint" on it is partly true. Not unlike repairing a damaged wall or dented car fender, unless the surface is returned to a consistent look as the adjacent surfaces the "paint" will not do much more than change the color. In fact, because of the shine, the epoxy will generally exaggerate the problems not fix them.

Just based on what you put in your post, the existing surface may not have been properly repaired in order to give you that smooth flowing surface you were imagining in your mind. Without proper repairs and a recoating of your floor there is not a good fix. Sorry...
    For a Professional Installation Visit: Hidden Content
    Ton's of Pics: Hidden Content

Default Garage Floor Epoxy

good to hear you found some retarded sap to buy it. I wouldnt have touched that piece of shit with a ten foot pole. Gayness aside...its just like, the worst car of the last 25 years.