+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Washer and Dryer

Alright folks, whatcha got, how do you like them, why'd ya buy 'em?

Doing laundry today the washer sounded weird and by the time I got to it to turn it off there was smoke pouring out of it. Me thinks this 10 year old Maytag has had it! What sucks is that just past year, about this time, I put a new $100 controller in this thing.

At any rate, now I'm in need of a new washer and want to know what everyone has, what their experience with all brands have been, and what they'd replace their current unit with should the need arise.

Thanks for the input.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: Washer and Dryer

Here's a model that may work for you ... no worry of smoke coming out of it or expensive replacement parts.

Tip ..... cut a piece from an old bicycle tube and attach to the bottom to prevent the washboard from moving around.

instruction manual .... http://www.nps.gov/archive/fosc/laundress_info3.htm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	washboard.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	1609  
    Last edited by canuk; 09-17-2008 at 10:09 PM.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Here's a model that may work for you ... no worry of smoke coming out of it or expensive replacement parts.

Tip ..... cut a piece from an old bicycle tube and attach to the bottom to prevent the washboard from moving around.

instruction manual .... http://www.nps.gov/archive/fosc/laundress_info1.htm
    I am glad I am not married to you or live up Nort. we use a deeper wash tub to funny Canuck
    Harry

I'll be sure to pass this info on to the girlfriend. I'm sure she'll be thankful.

If I don't report back in a couple days, SEND HELP!!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens53 View Post
    I am glad I am not married to you
    Ummmm ... no offense .... but ... ditto.
    - Rush

Thumbs up Re: Washer and Dryer

If you mus go a little more modern and set next to the accompanying dryer You save labor not carrying heavy wet loads, you save water by using the discharge to water the lawn, and you save money over expensive electric dryers.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

We have Frigidaire front loader. Model # FTF2140FS.

Works great, uses less than 2 gallon of water.

Only issue we have is water residue inside rubber seal. [big rubber seal that sealed area between door and washer.]
    We have to clean it up after every use otherwise we'll get odor.
    "Life does not go by the book, we learn as we go along".

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

One thing I would suggest is that you buy the base model. The more gadgets and cycles the more likely you are to have problems. I think Maytag is probably still one of the best.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by BigWalt View Post
    We have Frigidaire front loader. Model # FTF2140FS.

Works great, uses less than 2 gallon of water.

Only issue we have is water residue inside rubber seal. [big rubber seal that sealed area between door and washer.]
    We have to clean it up after every use otherwise we'll get odor.
    I remember reading this is a common thing for front loaders.
    - Rush

Well, I spent a little time "under the hood" and it appeared that one of the drive belts was to blame, it was dry, cracked, burnished, and the odor of the smoke seemed more like burnt rubber than burnt electrical. I bought a new set of belts today and installed them, the machine seems to operate just fine with water only, there was no smoke, but the odor is still there. The strange thing is that the odor is out of the top of the machine and to the left side of it. If you look under the machine and through the access ports there is no signs of smoke and little to no odor, yet the smell is still coming out of the top (this is a top load machine ). I can't tell if it's just residual or if whatever caused the smoke is still getting hot, just not hot enough yet to smoke again. The next test is to load it up with towels and see if the load on the agitator makes any difference.

The girlfriend said the weird noise she heard was like it was lugging under a heavy load. All things sound normal to me at this point, but not being the one who uses the darned thing, well, suffice it to say, it sounds fine to me.