+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: dimmer switch getting hot

Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post
    plastic switch cover was mentioned. if nothing else that's where i'd direct my suspicions and attentions. some plastic switch covers do a very good job of insulating holding the heat in the box especially if it is a plastic box. metal switch plates let more of the heat dissapate or escape into the room so then the dimmer doesnt heat up to much. if the switch cover was changed even before you noticed the dimmer overheating it could have caused or is causing the trouble being just enough of an insulator to either have the installation being under rated for the amount of heat or caused problems with the wiring insulation or the dimmer itself if you removed fins to mount the dimmer on the box and the switch plate you have to derate it even more.

if the switch plate cover was changed or a new style dimmer was used with a different style switch cover (so had to take off a tab/fin) thats were i'd direct my attention assuming everything else was rated and remains installed as it should be and you didnt overlamp the light fixture (like putting 75 watts bulbs in a 60 watt max socket or 60 watts bulbs replaced 40 watts bulbs for example).
    *** , very confusing and sounds far fetched considering when you purchase control switches and dimmers you can get plastic covers from the manufacturer. You would think if this theory is sound the manufacturers would have all sorts of warnings about using plastic covers.

plastic switch cover was mentioned. if nothing else that's where i'd direct my suspicions and attentions. some plastic switch covers do a very good job of insulating holding the heat in the box especially if it is a plastic box. metal switch plates let more of the heat dissapate or escape into the room so then the dimmer doesnt heat up to much. if the switch cover was changed even before you noticed the dimmer overheating it could have caused or is causing the trouble being just enough of an insulator to either have the installation being under rated for the amount of heat or caused problems with the wiring insulation or the dimmer itself if you removed fins to mount the dimmer on the box and the switch plate you have to derate it even more.

if the switch plate cover was changed or a new style dimmer was used with a different style switch cover (so had to take off a tab/fin) thats were i'd direct my attention assuming everything else was rated and remains installed as it should be and you didnt overlamp the light fixture (like putting 75 watts bulbs in a 60 watt max socket or 60 watts bulbs replaced 40 watts bulbs for example).
    Hmm the I think I already mentioned overlamping. But you forgot to mention a larger wattage dimmer.
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens53 View Post
    Hmm the I think I already mentioned overlamping. But you forgot to mention a larger wattage dimmer.
    no i didnt forget i already mentioned it way back, you even quoted it, obviously you didnt read it.

no i didnt forget i already mentioned it way back, you even quoted it, obviously you didnt read it.
    No one does.

blue your comments are so long and involved, and are obviously nothing but google quotations or just attacks no one bothers to read your post unless they want a laugh or are just have absolutely nothing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    blue your comments are so long and involved, and are obviously nothing but google quotations or just attacks no one bothers to read your post unless they want a laugh or are just have absolutely nothing to do.
    You forgot disjointed, nonsensical and confusing. I have not read an entire post in years.

Quote Originally Posted by bsum1 View Post
    *** , very confusing and sounds far fetched considering when you purchase control switches and dimmers you can get plastic covers from the manufacturer. You would think if this theory is sound the manufacturers would have all sorts of warnings about using plastic covers.
    Ya think?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Ya think?
    Humm!

Wonder if there are some google links to support the non-use of plastic covers with dimmers? Or, is this yet another example of the current blue and grey member's "opinion"? Her unvalidated opinion?

Let's see..........

I do not buy it.

Plastic versus metal cover plates , eh ? You have GOT to be kidding me ?

It just goes to show that you should always be skeptical of what you read on the Internet.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb