+ Reply to Thread

Wink Veneer old cabinets

I have pickled oak kitchen cabinets which I don't care for. Is it feasible to resurface all exterior surfaces with either commercial or home resawn 1/8th-3/16th cherry veneer? I would remove the doors and make new doors out of solid cherry-rails,stiles and floating panel.
    Q: What adhesive for the veneer?
    Q: How to finish the cherry veneer? Tung oil ok? Oil with a poly surface coat?
    Thanks,
    RMantell

Default Re: Veneer old cabinets

Yes, you can veneer your cabinets. I would recommend commercial veneers for uniformity and sheet sizes. Wash the cabinets with TSP to remove all grease and grime, rinse well and allow to fully dry before starting the veneer process. Contact cement would be the glue of choice. I would finish with a good polyurethane such as McKloskies or General Finishes brands - absolutely, positively stay away from Minwax poly's, they're extremely poor quality and hard to use.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm going to give the job a shot this fall. Years ago, I bought veneer from Constantine's in New York. I'm going to scout out some sources.
    Thanks again.
    Rick

You're welcome. Post back with your project and how it goes. BTW, we're suckers for pictures, so be sure to post a few of those too.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!