+ Reply to Thread

Question Lifetime Warranty paint

My wife watched an episode of This Old House some months ago (she can't remember when) where they talked about an exterior paint that had a lifetime warranty. I've searched everywhere on this site with no luck. Does anyone know anything about this or was she mistaken?

Default Re: Lifetime Warranty paint

PaulL,

Many paint manufacturers give "Lifetime" or "Limited Lifetime" warrantees. The catch is that the only thing they are promising to do is refund the cost of the paint itself. The expensive contractor or your own hard labor is your problem. The paint company is not really exposing itself to a large amount of claims. Most paint jobs turn out reasonably well, especially if the house has not had a history of paint failure.

My wife said that, in the program, they specifically talked about this "new" paint that was supposed to never crack, peal or fade for the life of the house. It was exterior paint. They had to remove all the old paint first, etc. Sounds too good to be true.

PaulL,

This topic has come up here before. There are a few manufacturers who market a very heavy coating which is supposed to last for years. At least one of them does require the stripping of the paint down to bare wood. My position is that almost any of the new generation of acrylic paints, if put on bare wood, will also last for years. Acrylics have the ability to let moisture generated in the house to migrate to the outside.
    Paint peeling occurs when moisture gets trapped in the siding and then turns to vapor pressure when heated by the sun.

The point is that if you are willing to strip the years accumulation of existing paint, you don't need some "miracle" coating.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    This topic has come up here before. There are a few manufacturers who market a very heavy coating which is supposed to last for years.
    There have been a few topics here on "permanent" coatings, or more accurately, the failure of these coatings and the resulting lawsuits. If this is what Paul is thinking, the resounding opinion is to stick with traditional paints. It's been a while since we've talked about them, so I can't direct to a specific post here.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

There is a company called Rhino Shield that sells what it calls a ceramic paint coating. They offer a life time warranty. You can find them on the internet. Surprised the other responders didn't mention it or heard of the company. They have been advertizing in the New England area quite exlusively for over a year. I know nothing of the company or their claims. Again, go on the web to see if there have been any complaints.

Thanks much for that. Rhino Shield is what was used on the Newton Center project which aired in January, I believe.

There seems to be a lot of questions about the product, not the least of which is, what does Lifetime Warranty mean? I see statements like "Never paint your house again" and "25 year warranty" - they are not the same in my book. But it is interesting and I will do more research.

I would welcome any other comments/experience about this product.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulL View Post
    My wife watched an episode of This Old House some months ago (she can't remember when) where they talked about an exterior paint that had a lifetime warranty. I've searched everywhere on this site with no luck. Does anyone know anything about this or was she mistaken?
    She is not mistaken: Its a process and I know a company who has it. Its not really paint, but very similar. Its more durable than paint and when you know what color you want and you want it to last, (so you never have to paint again), and don't want to replace the exterior with Vinyl siding, this is what I think she had heard about. If you'd like more information,contact me via email: gcrenier@comcast.net.
    Last edited by gcrenier; 03-23-2010 at 03:45 PM.

Exclamation Re: Lifetime Warranty paint

A bit of explanation on the Lifetime Warranty for Rhino Shield; the Lifetime warranty is to the original owner who had the house painted, the 25 years is from the date of the paint job passed on to a new owner. However, be warned, the warranty can only be claimed to the company that did the original job, not the paint manufacturer. So if the company ceases business, you have none. Something we didn't consider.

We had ouir ca. 1850 house coated with Rhino Shield in the late spring of 2008. The crew from Final Coat LLC did an incredible job on the house. Today it still looks like it was painted yesterday. We had an issue with bubbling on two walls that face the morning sun after the tremendous rains that we had in New England last spring. I contacted Rhino Shield by mail per the warranty. The company came, looked at it and stripped and repainted the two walls, no questions asked within two weeks.

I have questions, though. When the guy came to look at the problems we had, he said the the coating was too thick and also they had problems with the clear "sticky" primer originally used; that is why our problems. The company claims a three coat system; a primer and two top coats of Rhino Shield Durable Finish Coat. We opted for only one top coat (less money, same warranty). What would have happened if we had added the second top coat? Secondly, when they re-coated the two walls, they chemically stripped the old Rhino Shield off let it dry and then applied an oil based primer and re-coated with a different top coat now called Rhino Shield Protective Finish Coat. So they've changed the process since our job was done. It makes me wonder what I have on the house.

most of the companys claiming "lifetime warrenty" on their paint also can be dictated by proper preporation. if the existing paint isnt properly removed then a good primer coat isnt applied there is no real way of guarenteeing the paint will stick and stay.

with the newer pre-finished wood and concrete based sidings, they have a warrenty on the finish but only because it is applied in a controlled environment and is baked on at the factory.

as for hte second coat of the rhino coat, i imagine it has to do with there not being as much paint on the siding. a second coat is more durable and wont fade as quick. one heavy coat will take longer to dry and may not cure properly if applied during questionable weather, meaning high humidity or not warm and dry enough
    fire up the saw and make some dust