+ Reply to Thread

Default painting a room with a tin ceiling

I have a dining room with a great tin ceiling that comes down the walls about 6". I want to repaint the walls and don't know what to do about the tin ceiling. The builder of the house told me to never touch the ceiling with my fingers, but to always wear cotton gloves, so I would not leave oil fingerprints. How can I keep from getting paint on the tin?

Default Re: painting a room with a tin ceiling

You can do one of three things in order to keep from getting paint on the tin ceiling. One is to have a painter paint the room but this does not guarantee that they will not get paint on the tin ceiling. Two is to carefully cut in around the tin ceiling with a brush until you feel comfortable that you will not get paint on the tin ceiling with a roller. The third is to mask the tin ceiling off. I would go with cutting in around the tin ceiling with a brush and at the same time before you move your ladder go ahead and get a paint roller with a small roller on it and roll in where you have just brushed so that it will blend in with the rest of the wall. If you do not do this you will be able to see a race track effect where you have brushed once it dries. When rolling your brush strokes out stay up on the ladder and roll the roller parrallel to the edged of the tin so that you can see very clearly where the edge of the tin is and where your roller is. Go slowly with the roller so that you do not splatter paint up on the tin ceiling or acccidently roll up on the tin ceiling