+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Open Cell Foam

Default Open Cell Foam

We just installed open cell foam in an office bldg. We sprayed the rafters and did not insulate the ceilings, has anyone had experience with this method, should we worry at all about moisture in the attic?
    HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL!

Oklahoma City, OK

Default Re: Open Cell Foam

I had the same done in my house. Problems with moisture come when you have warm moist air going into the cold unconditioned attic. Since you insulated the rafters your attic is now a conditioned space you should not have problems with moisture. Moisture condenses on cold surfaces not warm surfaces. Hope this helps you out.

Mike

Thanks Mike, what about air movement, do you need any fan or something to move the air in the attic?
    HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL!

Oklahoma City, OK

You shouldn't need a fan to circulate air in attic as long as the air is warm no moisture will condense. If the rest of the building was also spray foamed you will need a way to bring in fresh air since spray foamed buildings are generally very air tight. This can be done most effectively with a Heat Recovery Ventilator (HRV). It brings in fresh air from the outside and exhausts air from the building. If you have a forced hot air system it can generally be connected through that. Life Breath is the manufacturer I bought mine from and it has worked very well for the past 3 years since it was installed. Now that buildings are being made tighter there needs to be some ventilation but not everyone is up to speed on this. Check with your HVAC person to see what they recommend for your particular situation.

Mike