+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question Is it possible to find old wiring without tearing out walls?

On my roof there is a big industrial style exhaust fan that vents to the living room. I have never found a power switch for it and its not noted in the breaker box, but I would like to see if I could get it runnning. What is the best way to determine whether there is existing wiring and/or locate a switch buried somewhere without tearing out the equipment, roof and walls?

Default Re: Is it possible to find old wiring without tearing out walls?

first id climb up that and see if ya got power up there, either 120 or 240 depending on the motor. now make sure you can do this safely!! there might not even be a wire going to it, meaning its abanded. then crawl around in the attic find the wires and go from there.

Default Re: Is it possible to find old wiring without tearing out walls?

Quote Originally Posted by jacquiev View Post
    What is the best way to determine whether there is existing wiring and/or locate a switch buried somewhere without tearing out the equipment, roof and walls?
    Sounds like a whole house fan, which generally have the wall switch within eyeball range of the fan. As Sparky notes, it's usually not too difficult to trace wiring down in the attic. Be careful. Hire an electrician if you're not familiar or comfortable working with electrical.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!