+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default basement plumbing nightmare

Multiple sewage backups since I moved in last year.

I've had the drain from basement to city line snaked 5 times in last 18 months. Last snake revealed nothing, plumber mysteriously stated that it could be something else but gave no indication as to what "it" might be.

Previous to last snake toilet and sink were removed from basement bathroom. Now instead of shooting out of the toilet - it now backs up in the tub which contains it so I don't have to call in a restoration cleaning service each time and can revel in the joy of cleaning it myself! When we shower/laundry/flush water comes up from the floor drain in utility room, up from the tub and out of the pipe in wall where the sink was removed (i'm pretty sure its the pipe water should go in if the sink was hooked up and sometimes water comes out when no water is active elsewhere in house....can someone give me something specific to ask a plumber and/or advice on who else to call? I'm assuming that's what I'll have to do since every plumber just snakes it and leaves.

Default Re: basement plumbing nightmare

You might want to talk to the city, if your line is clear and you're getting back-ups even when no water is running in the house it may be from the city's main line.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

By any chance have you had your vent pipes checked may have a partially clogged or blocked pipe. Water will feed back into your drains you can call a plumber to run a camera down the vent pipe to check this or rent one through your local Home Center or have your main drain cleaned to the street if you haven't done this already you could have tree roots blocking your main sewer line from the house to the street i would go with the cheapest first the camera the the vent snake to the street careful though you don't get the snake stuck i did that once almost didn't get it back haha good luck hope this was hepful Mr.DDI
    Last edited by guardduck25; 09-11-2008 at 04:07 AM. Reason: mispelled word

It sounds like your pipe to the city main is still clogged or partialy clogged, putting a camers down the line is a good idea to locate the source of your problem. Don't camera the line without first snaking the line, if there is any water standing in the line you won't be able to see any thing, the cameras don't see very well under water. If there has been a lot of root problems with the line, it may be crushed or broken and excavation may be needed.
    Some Plumbers or Rooter companies do the least amount of work possible to relieve the problem, hoping that you will call them back for future work, they don't want a permanent repair.
    Have you called the city when these backups have happened? They can check the city main to see if it is flowing properly, they may also be able to recommend some Plumbers or Contractors that do reputable work.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I contacted the city last night but they haven't been out yet. I have called them in the past and nothing was wrong on thier end. I called a different plumber today and they are going to squeeze me in...I will bring up/listen for mention of the vent pipe. I don't feel like the last plumber was holding out for more work...I actually liked him the best - he's a one man business and it may have been an overwhelming prospect for him....whereas others who had come before him definitely wanted to come back later after band aid solutions. Again thanks for the info...I'll post what happens...wish me luck!!

Best of luck to you and do post back when it is resolved.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Go to the street and start pulling manhole covers and see if one it backed up or not flowing the same rate. Did the sewer service not run a rooter head through the drain? 5 months is too soon. You might want to try to flush and camers after the city does there thing. Are there industrial plants in the area. If your city doesn't seperateservices then they coul inundate the sewer andflood your basement. You may have to litigate.

The sewer line to the street had to be replaced...ugh. Everything is flowing smoothly (pun intended). Thanks again for all of your suggestions.

See you may need to litigate.

How much is that going to cost you?