+ Reply to Thread

Default found old particle board need advice

Hi, just bought an old farm house in the Catskills. The main house is from 1850 and the walls are plaster. There is an old addition on the house, my guess it was built in the late 40s. The previous owners put wood paneling up, which I started to take down. To my surprise I found that all the walls (ceilings too) in the addition are made of old particle board. Most of it is covered with wall paper, which I also wanted to get rid of, but now I don't know what to do. The walls all have a funky texture to it, so it's not just a simple matter of take the paper down, spackle, repair,and paint. We're on a tight budget. What should we do? How do I tackle this? There is tons of water damage too. Right now it looks terrible. HELP!

Default Re: found old particle board need advice

First of all, make sure there will be no more water damage. If the leak isn't fixed already, fix it as your first order of work.

If the particle board is bumpy and rough, it means it has absorbed some moisture in the past and has begun to break down. Bad sign. If it's not too bad, you can leave it in place. If really messed up, tear it out.

Next step is to hang 1/2" drywall over the studs (or old particle board). I realize that you're on a budget but you're going to have to look at those walls for quite a while. No sense in doing a crummy job that will become a sore point not long after. Just do it right and you'll really be glad. It shouldn't cost that much and you can paint it or wallpaper it and have a nice room.

Good Luck