+ Reply to Thread

Angry Hardwood Floors with no subfloor

We just moved into our first house in Sept. 2009. The house was built in 1899 and has old old hardwood floor exposed (both from above - no carpet, and below - no subfloor) on the first floor that is in great condition and one of the reasons we bought the house. I was planning to address the squeaking issue by placing shims, but do not have a subfloor and some of the areas are not near the floor joists.

Is there a solution for this?

I have plenty of room under the floor as we have a basement that allows for you to stand while working on the first level flooring.

Also, I fear that the 2nd floor which has carpet over the hardwood does not have a subfloor either and am at a loss as to stopping those floors from squeaking as well.

Default Re: Hardwood Floors with no sub-floor

No sub-floor in a house of that vintage is not unusual. The squeaking is caused by the boards rubbing together. First check to make sure the joists are not flexing. If the are you may have to install sisters on them. If you have two board squeaking between joists you can sometimes stop the by screwing a board across the joint.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Hardwood Floors with no subfloor

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    jack, you mean to screw a board across the joint from below right?
    same as creating blocking for floor plywood when there isnt a tongue and groove to lock the two pieces toghether
    Yep. The trouble with getting old is your mind doesn't always follow through.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Hardwood Floors with no sub-floor

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    No sub-floor in a house of that vintage is not unusual. The squeaking is caused by the boards rubbing together. First check to make sure the joists are not flexing. If the are you may have to install sisters on them. If you have two board squeaking between joists you can sometimes stop the by screwing a board across the joint.
    Jack
    Would a 1x4 work or am I looking at a 2x to go across the seams? and do I put the board on the 1x over the seam or the 4x over the seam?