+ Reply to Thread

Question 3.5 Inch Sewer Clean Cap where can I find one?

I have a 1940's home and seems that most everything here is out of what is available today. I have a sewer clean out that is recessed in the basement floor, so a plumber could not get it loose with a tool except with a rototwist drill and a chipping bit, he got it out but put two holes in the top of it. I have been looking for one and most home improvements stores have the inch sizes but nothing that works for this it being 3.5 inches though it measures 4 inches & the caps available today don't. Also I would like to bring it up about 4 inches to get it easier to get the cap off but again the pipe thread is an odd size. The cap has 3 1/2 in the cap and it appears to be brass or bronze. Where might I find something that I can move it up a little and get it capped off or am I asking too much. I just got done with cutting the cast iron soil pipe next to it and now I am trying to get this done.

Any ideas who might have one of these caps or a short piece of pipe and connector that might thread into this and a means to cap it off???

Thanks,
    MMeehan
    Last edited by MMeehan; 09-09-2008 at 08:19 PM.

Default Re: 3.5 Inch Sewer Clean Cap where can I find one?

Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Question Re: 3.5 Inch Sewer Clean Cap where can I find one?

So what size do use to refer to buying one of these Brass Cleanout Caps" The Measurement diameter is "4 Inches" thread to thread yet a PVC 4 inch is larger yet stamped in the inside of the cap it has 3 1/2. I would hate to order one ****** and get the wrong one. So how would I measure it and know what is the size I need to order???

Thanks for the links I contacted Oatey asking about these and never got any information back. So I was looking to order one from the Do It Best but now not sure what size I need.

MMeehan
    Last edited by MMeehan; 09-29-2008 at 08:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Where is the clean out? You can cut the pipe and Missionband a piece of PVC and a new clean out or No-Hub the cast iron and a new CI clean out or what ever means depending on the material. However there are 3 1/2 cleanout plugs availiabe. I propably have one in my work truck. They are very common in commercial plumbing.

I'm all for junking those brass plugs based on looks alone. I would opt to convert. Although your cleanout will more than likely be different. I had a similar issue with a brass plug hammered into a 2" cast iron pipe that may be able to help you. I opted to use a 2" Ty Seal and an 1 1/4" female pressure adapter and a pipe plug to fit it. In my opinion it's dead sexy. Now I just have to clean that brick hahahaha!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PIC-0145.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	1657   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PIC-0149.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	1658  

I have a source to buy what I am looking for I just need to know how you measure the brass one Have being it measures 4 inches for the diameter of the one that had a whole punched through the top by a plumber being it is set down below the concrete floor and the concrete is tapered to it slightly.

It is like buying wood it seems a 2X4 back when was 2 inches by 4 inches yet to conserve on wood they chnaged it top 1.5 X 3.5.

The cap measures 4 inches yet what is stamped in it is 3.5. I have alreday had to burst out the floor for the other main clean out being the threads on that opne was 2/3 missing and no cap woulkd seal it off. It has the hub with cast iroin and it took me a year to find a sawzall blade that would cut the cast iron soil pipe.

I am just trying to get the right size cap. But I guess I will have to buy 2 of them and throw out the one that is not the right sized one. If the first reply another guy posted a link to where I can find a Brass Cap. I just was hoping to buy one and be done but I am now just going to buy a 3.5 and a 4 inch and be done with getting it capped off...

Thanks for the info and ideas just trying to do it the easiest way and buying a cap would be...

MMeehan
    Last edited by MMeehan; 10-03-2008 at 05:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MMeehan View Post
    It took me a year to find a sawzall blade that would cut the cast iron soil pipe MMeehan
    I wish I would have know I could have sent you one!

O MY GOODNESS.

GO TO THE S U P P L Y H O U S E AND ASK FOR A

3 AND 1/2 INCH C L E A N O U T P L U G.

Are things that slow we need to dig up posts from 2008?

John

Yes since this about 3 Years OLD!!! And someone gave me the right source for it... Guess you need to read the dates before posting!!! 3 years is too late...

MMeehan