My house has a fireplace which is of the ornamental variety. By which I mean it's a usable but it's the kind on the side of the house where most if not all heat will go up the chimney.

In my area, they sell tiny wood stove which can fit inside the fireplace. The idea is supplemental heating. Does anyone have any experience with these things? Do they work and is there advantage to them?

i currently live in a semi rural area of NJ where there are no gas mains for heating. I have an oil burner. Filling the thing up is co$tly.

Via a relative I can get firewood fairly cheaply, so the cost of the wood is not a major issue. '

Any thoughts?

Wayne