+ Reply to Thread

Default Existing retaining wall drainage - unknown drainage

Hi - We have a retaining wall on our property that is about 8ft high and 15ft wide. It appears to be constructed of fairly thick (1 1/2 ft or so) concrete surfaced with cultured stone. I can't seem to see any drainage at all with this wall. There are no weep holes or french drains that I can see. They wall seems fine and is not cracked or leaning. My question is what should I do about this to figure out proper drainage. To add to the problem, the wall makes a 90 degree turn back up into the hill (i assume so it won't fall over), so I can't just dig down and put a proper drain behind it. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Default Re: Existing retaining wall drainage - unknown drainage

Quote Originally Posted by philth View Post
    Hi - We have a retaining wall on our property that is about 8ft high and 15ft wide. It appears to be constructed of fairly thick (1 1/2 ft or so) concrete surfaced with cultured stone. I can't seem to see any drainage at all with this wall. There are no weep holes or french drains that I can see. They wall seems fine and is not cracked or leaning. My question is what should I do about this to figure out proper drainage. To add to the problem, the wall makes a 90 degree turn back up into the hill (i assume so it won't fall over), so I can't just dig down and put a proper drain behind it. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks
    If there are no visible problems, what is the cause for concern? Drainage may or may not exist, it would depend on what's behind the wall, soil type, natural drainage of surrounding areas on either side of the walled area, etc.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: Existing retaining wall drainage - unknown drainage

Thanks for the reply. I guess I was looking to be proactive about it and not just hope for the best. You're right that I don't know what the drainage is inside the wall and maybe it's hooked up to a drywell, but the fact that I didn't see any weep holes or drains just concerned me. Perhaps I'm being worried over nothing. It's just a pretty large wall, so obviously don't want it to fail.