+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Help with coax to TVs

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    I would have to disagree
    Shielded cable is a better choice than a flat 300 ohm pair.
    The 300 ohm pair is susceptible to all kinds of interference from external components like the metal mast or other metal components. Also problems with running it properly to avoid turning it into it's second antenna.

The 75 ohm coax being shield cable has better resistance to interference.

There are antennas that have 75 ohm outputs and those that have 300 ohm output would be converted to 75 ohm with a balun for the transmission line run.
    I agree with going with the 300 ohm {coaxe**.
    75 ohm ribbon cable came over on the Mayflower.

Thanks to kentvw and college student, I went to my local Ace and bought a bad larry. 54" X 3/8. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the box in the wall, fed the auger into the hole and drilled down. In no time at all I was through the baseplate and subflooring and into the basement. I will do the same with the TV in the greatroom, although this wall is at the back of a built-in cabinet so the 54" will come in handy.

Again, thanks for the tip - this tool rocks - and it saved me paying the antenna install guy $300 to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by docspencer View Post
    Thanks to kentvw and college student, I went to my local Ace and bought a bad larry. 54" X 3/8. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the box in the wall, fed the auger into the hole and drilled down. In no time at all I was through the baseplate and subflooring and into the basement. I will do the same with the TV in the greatroom, although this wall is at the back of a built-in cabinet so the 54" will come in handy.

Again, thanks for the tip - this tool rocks - and it saved me paying the antenna install guy $300 to do this.
    Good to hear....

Good to hear it went as planned and if you use it more than once it's already paid for itself! I wonder where 'Bad Larry' comes from, I just know it as a flexbit.

Not only did you save yourself some money, the cable guy wouldn't have installed the cables in the walls, they'd have surface run them wherever they could and drilled through the wall or floor to bring it to the location needed.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Oh, good to hear it worked out.

Where do I send my consulting fee bill?

lol.

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    Oh, good to hear it worked out.

Where do I send my consulting fee bill?

lol.
    Your bill would first have to be approved by the purchasing department headed by Blue.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

hey, I figured you guys would put this on my tab

As it turns out, I went a bit too small on the bit - tried to get by with a 3/8 and should have bought at least a 9/16. bought the small one to save myself a trip across town the the HD. It meant I had to drill up from the basement with a larger spade bit so the coax with string and duck tape would fit. Minor snag, though. It's ready for the antenna guy next week - just in time for some of the new shows!

If anyone knows where the name "bad larry" comes from - I'd love to know.

once again, Thanks to you all!