+ Reply to Thread
    Lees Summit, MO

Default How to finish basement stairs

I have been refinishing my basement and we ordered carpet a few weeks ago. I still need to put in the baseboard trim but I am stuck on what to do with the stairs.

The first option is to paint right up to the tread and have the carpet tightened right up against the wall, but then what do I do to trim out the bottom landing before the turn into the basement level?

The other option is to remove the treads and put down a baseboard (seen on most stairs). I am not sure how easy that would be. What kind of lumber would I use? How difficult is it? Would I cut it out to fit against the wall? Would I remove the treads first? I imagine if I removed the treads, I could then cut it to slide it right against the wall. I can then cut the treads by an inch or so and replace the now shortened treads before the carpet guys arrive. That seems like the nicer, more finished route but I am not exactly sure how to proceed with that second option and how much of a challenge it would be.

Any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0021.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	3274   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0022.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	3275   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0023.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	3276  

Default Re: How to finish basement stairs

It seems tough to me to reply anything as this is not my kind of job for the novice. I would talk to a friend of mine who is a licensed contractor. I hope he would have better suggestions for you.