+ Reply to Thread

Default How does my ceiling work?

We just bought our first house. Our house was built in 1912 with some newer construction in certain places. I have a question about how my ceiling works. I have noticed between the drywall and the joist is 1x8 planks and it looks like the joist are 24" O.C. Is this possible? The only reason why I ask is because I am trying to hang a chin-up bar from the ceiling. I need to find the ceiling joist so that I can anchor the bar better. I tryed drilling smaller holes every 2" to try and find a joist but was not succesfull. I would hate to cut a big hole in the ceiling but if I have to I will. I just need to know how to do it correctly. Help!!!!! Can anyone give me some words of advice. Thanks Gordo....

Default Re: How does my ceiling work?

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
    We just bought our first house. Our house was built in 1912 with some newer construction in certain places. I have a question about how my ceiling works. I have noticed between the drywall and the joist is 1x8 planks and it looks like the joist are 24" O.C. Is this possible?
    Yes , it's possible with older homes.
    Based on your description it sounds as though the original plaster ceiling had been removed and replaced with gypsum board. The 1x8 planks are likely strapping ( though 1x4 are more common ) used to level out the unevenness from the joists sagging also, to provide a grid for attaching the gypsum board.
    The questions that comes to mind, how are you able to see the structure and is there an attic above this ceiling?
    If there is an attic above then drive a nail or screw beside the joists through the ceiling below as a reference where the joists are. Then measure over 3/4 " and install the fasteners.
    One thing to recommend , since the spacing of the joists are 24 inches there will be spring to the joists known as " bounce " , the amount will be determined by how deep the joists are and how far they span. With the chin up bar you might want to locate it close to a wall rather than in the middle to prevent any undo movement of the ceiling structure.