+ Reply to Thread

Thread: in floor heat

Default in floor heat

We are in the process of an addition to our kitchen and want to install in floor heat in the addition.
    We are looking at water or electric. I cant seem to find any good info on pros and cons.
    Need advice!!

Thanks!

Doug

Default Re: in floor heat

If you're looking for the pros and cons between water or electric, I would think the electric would be less costly for the inital cost.

From my understanding the electric heat is like a blanket with heating elements embedded and would sit on top of the sub floor without adding much to the thickness.

The water heating would be more labor to install the water tubing under the floor or having the tubing on top with some type of material like lightweight concrete poured over,which adds to the thickness.
    The costs of water heat is likely way higher for the tubing valves and heating system.

Default Re: in floor heat

For a renovation of this type I think the driving factor will be what is your current heating system. If you have hot water radiation and the system is large enough to take the expansion, then hot water may be suitable. However, if you have electric baseboard heaters then the cost of installing the hot water system may be prohibitive.

Is under-floor access possible? If so, than either system is suitable.

Using an infloor system is a great idea in that it eliminates the space consuming radiators or baseboard units. The big plus is the comfort of a warm floor.

Before moving to Houston - where heating is obviously not a major concern - our home in Canada had infloor hot-water heating throughout. It was a slab-on-grade bungalow with the circulation tubing run through the floor-slab before the concrete was poured. The winters were so enjoyable! The system was controlled by a programable thermostat so the bathroom and kitchen floors (both tile covered) were warm to the feet every morning.

Once the floor slab warmed, its thermal mass kept the house comfortable on even the coldest days. Unfortunately this may not be an additional benefit in a retrofit situation, but the floor will be great to walk on - even in bare feet.

I would recommend infloor heating to anyone.