+ Reply to Thread

Question Advice on repairing metal patio awning

I have a 1960s split level that has a concrete patio on the back of the house with a metal awning covering it. The metal awning is bent in many places and leaks a lot. Kind of defeats the purpose of the awning. I don't have money to tear everything down and start over. What can I do to stop the leaking? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Advice on repairing metal patio awning

Are the leaks along seams or pinpoints? Pin points can be sealed with silicone or elastomeric caulk, elastomeric being the better of the two. Seams may also benefit from caulk, just depends on whether the seam has been damaged or not. Fasteners also benefit from a dab of caulk over the top, as the rubber grommet usually under such things can deteriorate over time.

Some of the dents and damage might be able to be pounded out with some blocks and hammer. Go slow, go gently. Hold a block on the flat side of the dent (over the "hole" of the dent ) and pound from the crown side of the dent, preferably through another block. This will do two things, stabilize the structure during the pounding and minimize further damage in the attempt of repair. If you have to get on top of the structure, get yourself a sheet of 1/2" or thicker plywood. The plywood will distribute your weight over a larger area, preventing further damage.

Once you've got all that together, you could also apply a "Snow Roof" type product, which is a thick, roller applied, material designed to seal small pin holes and leaks over an entire roof. The name brand product that is Snow Roof is white, which helps to reflect heat.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for the advise A. Spruce! This sounds great. The leaks are definitely coming through the seams. You can see daylight through many areas. I will try pounding out as much as I can. I'm nervous to get on top of the awning since it's so old and the underside is very rusty. If there are cracks towards the center that I can't reach, is there something I could stuff it with? Caulking might just ooze back out? I definitely plan on painting the whole thing once it's all sealed up. Thank you for all of the recommendations so far!

Without seeing the awning for myself, it would be hard to suggest more ideas. You could possibly use a helper, ladder, and a 4x6 beam rather than get on top of the awning. The helper would hold the 4x6 over the area to be pounded and could even apply a little additional resistance if necessary.

You might be able to use a jack to lift droopy seams together rather than pounding, then run self tapping sheetmetal screws up through the joint. Keep in mind if you add additional holes in this manner, you'll definitely have to apply a sealer such as Sno-Roof.

If you've got a split, you might be able to install a sheetmetal patch over the split, it just kind of depends on the integrity of the metal awning and the severity of the split. Overlapping seams can get some screws or rivots installed to hold it together. If you've still got gaps over about 1/4", then you may need a foam backer to bridge the gap and give the caulk something to bind with. You'll find gap filling foam rope in with both weather stripping and caulking at your supplier.

Regardless of how you go about repair, it is imperative that you work slowly and cautiously so as not to do more damage or bring the whole thing down on your head.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thank you so much for the thorough advice, A. Spruce. This definitely helps!

You're welcome. Be sure to report back with your progress.

Will do. I might not get to this for a while though. I'm still in the planning phase at this point. I'll post some pics as well.

I wouldn't think getting on top of the awning would be a very good idea.
    How large is the awning ? --- perhaps removing it and work on the rapairs down on the patio.--- certainly a lot easier and much safer.

2 cents worth.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush