+ Reply to Thread

Question disposing of old redwood deck

I have a redwood deck that is about 25 years old and needs to be replaced. A contractor wants thousands of dollars to tear it out and dispose of it via a dumpster. I am wondering if I take it out myself and cut it up for firewood that this would be okay. I have heard that burning redwood may not be safe.

Thanks

Default Re: disposing of old redwood deck

I don't believe red wood would be a problem. Older pressure treated lumber containing arsenic would be a problem.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

If the redwood is in decent shape I'm sure someone would be happy to take it off your hands maybe even would come and take the deck apart to get the wood so it would be a win win situation. As far as burning it my guess would be that being a soft wood burning it in a wood stove or fire place might create excess creosote. Burning it outdoors in a fire pit I wouldn't think would be an issue.

Mike

Crosote is created by burning green wood, a 25 year old deck doesn't fit that description.

The only reason NOT to burn it is if it's been treated with any preservatives over the years. There can be some nastiness from those coatings that wouldn't be good to breath. Other than that, have at it.

Other means of disposal would be to meter it into your garbage can. Be forewarned, some municipalities get cranky about "construction" debris in your can, so only put what will fit with the lid closed. Or, you could haul it yourself to a building materials recycler where fees are usually about half of what a landfill would charge.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!