+ Reply to Thread

Default electrical boxes and metal studs

I was wondering if someone could please give me some options on the best boxes for electrical to use with metal studs. I prefer plastic boxes. I plan on using romex with plastic grommits in the studs and I want to use the right boxes.

Default Re: electrical boxes and metal studs

If you're asking if using metal boxes are fine for metal studs --- the answer is yes --- and are preferred over the plastic.
    As a matter of fact around here it's a requirement to have a metal wall assembly to be bonded to ground in which the metal boxes meet that requirement.
    Last edited by canuk; 03-10-2010 at 10:13 PM.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

If it's a small vanity light designed to be only supported by the backbox, an "old work" box cut into the drywall or plaster is more than enough to support it. If it's a larger fixture, it's going to be supported by fasteners directly into the drywall on either side beyond the box.

if your using a cut in box, id use plastic. if your doing a whole room with studs exposed use metal boxes with box supports. also depending on your area, plastic might not be allowed, but im guessin if thats the case neither is NM.