+ Reply to Thread

Thumbs down PEX tubing / Sharkbite connectors

I am considering plumbing an entire house with PEX tubing, specifically sharkbite brand tubing and sharkbite connectors to make connections. Has anyone had good or bad experience with PEX tubing or sharkbite connectors?

Default Re: PEX tubing / Sharkbite connectors

Howdy rember that pex must be protected from sunlight as it soon fails from UV exposure.
    The connectors are $ you might consider instead pex fittings and uses the stainless steel crimp rings.
    Another great item is Dahl mini 1/4 turn pex valves for the supply lines to the toilets and sinks check the web page for info. These items im using in my grand old home renovation. Another caution is to stub out from the water heater i think it is 18" with copper as pex will not work directly from water heater hot side.

Thank you Timothy,

I did not have any intention of leaving the PEX in sunlight. It would be sealed into walls and floors. I have had bad experience with copper leaking especially at the connectors. That is a big part of the reason for my considering PEX. With PEX I can have one run from a central location to individual groups of appliances (IE one run to kitchen for sink and dishwasher, one run to each bathroom). Ok technically two runs each one cold and one hot. If a leak develops alright I may have to replace that run, I may have to tear up a small part of the floor or wall where that trunk hits the room, but then I can fish the PEX back through the original holes at the same time I am removing the broken piece of PEX. With copper I would have to tear up a much larger area and so encounter a much higher expense.

Thank you also for the note about not going direct to the water heater but if my PEX is certified to 100 psi at 180 degrees F. My water heaters are only set to 140 degrees F do I really need to worry about copper piping?

Quote Originally Posted by eric5775 View Post
    Thank you Timothy,

Thank you also for the note about not going direct to the water heater but if my PEX is certified to 100 psi at 180 degrees F. My water heaters are only set to 140 degrees F do I really need to worry about copper piping?
    When PEX was new to the code, there were worries about its long-term performance, as with any new product. Precautionary restrictions were placed on it that may or may not have really been necessary in order to get it accepted into the code.

The manufacturers agreed to whatever restrictions were perceived as necessary to allow its use. The truth is, PEX has proved to be the most trouble-free and user-friendly of any water distribution piping ever developed. I say this, not as a sales rep for PEX, but as an inspector who has been in the plumbing field for over 45 years.

Eric you're welcome. Forgot to include the cost of the stainless crimp rings tool was about $40 at lowes and it crimps rings of various sizes with least in my opinion failure to crimp correctly. The other issue is how are you planning on stubbing out to the shut offs for the sinks and toilets? I just discovered copper stub outs with a pex tapered ends so i can install pex an then strap the copper and either sweat on shut offs or compression shutoffs.
    So no pex is outside the wall or floor cavity and again not exposed to sunlight.
    You might contact the building dept in your area to see if any code requirements that may impact how you replace the plumbing. Best of future s with pex, i really like how it is warranted to repeated freeze without failure.