Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010

    Question What are these walls made of?

    Hey, guys. I've got a question about the interior walls for the house in which I live - I can't identify them, but I know it's not drywall or plaster.

    This house is pretty old - I believe it was built in the 1950s? Maybe before. (I don't own the house, so I'm not sure.) The walls are kind of....soft to the touch, I suppose, and they feel hollow. They've been painted over, but there are deep vertical grooves every 12 inches or so, like some type of paneling.

    I removed the switchplate for the light switch to see if I could figure out what it was, but I couldn't really tell - it seemed almost like some really soft chipboard or something. I can't tell, but I took some pictures and I was hoping that someone with expertise might be able to identify it.

    They are here:

    Can anyone tell what this is? This isn't like, MDF board or something, is it?

    Edit: Or some other type of particleboard?

    Last edited by lunchmeat317; 03-08-2010 at 08:40 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    The Great White North

    Default Re: What are these walls made of?

    Sounds to be a fiberboard panel like Homasote.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts