+ Reply to Thread

Default Wood filler showing though paint on laminate cabinets

I have old laminate kitchen cabs with a design etched into the doors and drawers. I've filled them with wood filler and sanded. I'm using chalk paint which is nice and thick but I am still seeing a line where the wood filler is. I think this is happening because there are 2 different surfaces for the paint to adhere to. So what should I use as a base to make it all one surface?

Default Re: Wood filler showing though paint on laminate cabinets

Do a better job with filling and sanding. If something is filled and sanded properly it will disappear.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

All fillers shrink a little as they dry. Usually takes about 3 coats to get the surface totally filled in and flat. Sand with a sanding block, not just with paper in the hand.

What the others said plus use a good primer

Spot-prime the area then block-sand to flat. repeat as needed till the primer fills the entire area flat; then prime and paint as usual. If the filler cracks are wide from shrinkage, use a smoother filler first similarly. Most of us here prefer "MH Ready Patch" which is available at the big-box stores. Regular wood fillers can be grainy but this stuff isn't. The sanding block is imperative- use a wood sanding block or solid plastic one, the rubber and padded ones will not leave a truly flat surface behind them.

Phil

When the filler is the softer of the two materials, it is all too easy to over-sand and dish out the filler. Formica is a very hard material. Even the slightest depression is going to be visible because it is following a precise geometric shape and is of a consistent width. I'd have used some very hard filler like regular Bondo (not lightweight formula).
    The other possibility is that the wood substrate has swelled at the edges and has lifted the laminate around the routed groove. If you used a water-based filler, you put moisture at the exact spot where it had the highest negative effect.
    But since it's laminate, it would be pretty simple to put down another layer of formica, no?
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.